Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/2/20 9:44 AM, Jeremy Schneider wrote:
> On 7/2/20 09:28, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> The status quo prevailed since no-one chose to contribute further
>> arguments for change and the original patch was retracted.  What kind
>> of "bike-shedding" (which seems to be used incorrectly here) would you
>> expect?
>
> The bike-shedding comment reflects my sense of humor, which is evidently
> so dry that it can be entirely un-detectable.  :)  But overall I do
> think there's room for input from more people.  Might not change the
> outcome, I'm just curious if there are more people who'd have thoughts
> to offer.
>
> I'm not sure hint text would be the right course, as the hint wouldn't
> make sense in the context of other clients and I don't know if we have a
> mechanism now for the server to change it's error response based on
> which client is being used.
>
> One other thought occurred to me after sending this email - does
> ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK=interactive differentiate between syntax errors and
> other errors? Thinking about how users approach SQL, this feels
> significant. I'd happily want to let users at my company retry after
> syntax errors, but I'd want them to inspect any other error more closely.

An error is an error:

\set ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK interactive

test(5432)=# begin ;
BEGIN
test(5432)=# slect 1;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "slect"
LINE 1: slect 1;
         ^
test(5432)=# select 1;
  ?column?
----------
         1
(1 row)

test(5432)=# select 1/0;
ERROR:  division by zero
test(5432)=# select 1;
  ?column?
         1
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
От: Anders Steinlein
Сообщение: Re: Different results from identical matviews