Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 26.04.23 07:36, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 26 Apr 2023, at 10:18, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 Apr 2023, at 08:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the notes are even true.  The text for tcp_keepalives_interval already says that it is only supported
ifTCP_KEEPCNT is supported.

> Re-reading this I think there was some confusion, definitely so on my part.
>
> tcp_keepalives_interval relies on TCP_KEEPINTVL, with the Windows equivalent
> being SIO_KEEPALIVE_VALS.  TCP_KEEPCNT is for tcp_keepalives_count which indeed
> is not supported on Windows.  Jonathans original question was regarding _count
> and _timeout and not _interval.
>
> I do agree that all of these notes may just as well be added to the text, the
> option client_connection_check_interval following these have text about
> platform compatibility without using a note.

How about this patch?

The first two hunks are pretty straightforward, they just move the
existing text around.

For the other two, which are not supported on Windows, I added an
explicit parenthetical note.  We don't list which of the Unix-like
platforms support the respective options, but I suspect that it's all of
them in practice?  (Otherwise we should be more explicit.)  So I think
calling out Windows explicitly is sensible, also considering that the
first two settings are supported on Windows but the latter two are not.

От: Erik Wienhold
Сообщение: Re: 5.11.1 Table Partitioning Overview - "...the size of the table should exceed the physical memory.."
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings