Re: Show list of Commitfest Managers

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: Show list of Commitfest Managers
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 28/03/2022 18:15, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 3:24 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 3/22/22 1:55 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 3/22/22 1:18 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>> On 22/03/2022 14:41, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>>> Why do this instead of link to a wiki page? Editing the wiki would be
>>> a lower barrier to maintaining this.
>>
>> The maintenance "barrier" is really just adding name and email address
>> once
>> you create the next CF in the Django admin. And you have all the data
>> in one place.
>
> More that a few people manage the pgweb content vs. the entire community
> manages the wiki.
>
>> This patch shows where the Commitfest Manager is, recognizing the huge
>> amount
>> of work people doing for this project. And it adds a contact option
>> right where it
>> belongs. The additional page is a nice touch and can be left out, but
>> it does not
>> hurt to have it.
>
> In general, I agree with this, but I don't think that a patch to pgweb
> specific for CFMs is the answer per se.

I read the patch too fast and didn't realize that it targeted the CF app
specifically. I apologize.

Reviewing this again, I believe we can have multiple CFMs per CF. So
this would need to be a one-to-many (or many-to-many, see below)
relationship. It would be one-to-many if we do not leverage the existing
User model, which contains name/email, or many-to-many if we use User.

This could be accomplished in a couple of ways:

1. Stick a ManyToMany field on Commitfest to User
2. Do something similar to the "Committer" model[1] but have it act as a
join table e.g. "CommitfestManager" that can point to User and Commitfest.

This would change the queries in the views, but would ensure we capture
everyone who acts a CFM for a CF

Yes, we can have more than one. And in either case storing a copy of an email that's not being updated, is a bad idea.

it definitely seems better with (2) of your choices above. There may be other things that we want to add to this relationship in the future.

And it should probably also utilize the UserProfile model and make it possible for the CFM to choose which email address they should be referred by. Several people who originally requested the ability to user a separate email are amongst the ones who have been CF managers.

That's useful feedback, thank you.

Will find time and rework this.

Last question: keep the separate list of CFM, or "just" add the CFM after every CF on the main page?

Regards,

-- 				Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Suggestion, add committfest managers to the contributors page
От: Tatsuro Yamada
Сообщение: Re: Broken link on the Sponsors page