Re: Let PostgreSQL's On Schedule checkpoint write buffer smooth spread cycle by tuning IsCheckpointOnSchedule?

От Fabien COELHO
Тема Re: Let PostgreSQL's On Schedule checkpoint write buffer smooth spread cycle by tuning IsCheckpointOnSchedule?
Дата
Re: Let PostgreSQL's On Schedule checkpoint write buffer smooth spread cycle by tuning IsCheckpointOnSchedule?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Simon,

> We could do better, but that is not a reason not to commit this, as is.
> Commit, please.

My 0,02€: Please do not commit without further testing...

I've submitted a patch to improve checkpoint write scheduling, including
X00 hours of performance test on various cases. This patch changes
significantly the load distribution over the whole checkpoint, and AFAICS
has been tested on rather small cases.

I'm not sure that the power 1.5 is the right one for all cases. For a big
checkpoint over 30 minutes, it may have, or not, very large and possibly
unwanted effects. Maybe the 1.5 factor should really be a guc. Well, what
I really think is that it needs performance measures.

In conclusion, and very egoistically, I would prefer if this patch could
wait for the checkpoint scheduling patch to be considered, as it would
basically invalidate the X00 hours of performance tests I ran:-)

--
Fabien.

От: Fujii Masao
Сообщение: Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
От: Marco Atzeri
Сообщение: PostgreSQL 9.5 Alpha 1 build fail with perl 5.22