Re: Dump format for long term archiving.

От Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Тема Re: Dump format for long term archiving.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 14/03/2008, brian <brian@zijn-digital.com> wrote:
> The version you dump it from is unlikely to be difficult to find ten
>  years from now. I'd just make sure to append the pg version to the
>  archive so it's obvious to any future data archaeologists what's needed
>  to breathe life back into it.
Let me play devils advocate here ...

While the source for PG 8.x will be around there's no guarantee
that future enhancements to gcc (or whatever commercial compiler
you'll be using) will still allow you to compile it w/o potentially long-
winded modifications to the original source.

My gut-feeling is that trying to keep data as a "moving target", with
some redundancy in terms of storage and hardware, and updating
the appropriate means every few years (financial life-cycle?) is a
sensible method  :}

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.