Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

От Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Тема Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 28/03/2008, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Agree, except I would prefer "pg" instead of "pgc".
>
>  With "pg" I am sure that the comand is "generic to the extreme", so I don't
>  have to assume what does "c" stand for.  Control?  Create?  Client?  or Command.
>
>  Also its about 33% shorter. ;-)

And it's been taken for about 35 years by a Unix command called "page".
From its man-page.

PG(1)                            User Commands                           PG(1)

NAME
       pg - browse pagewise through text files

I really find this whole discussion quite silly;  it's about someone's
personal preference?  Don't get me wrong, I'm a lowly user when it
comes to pg, and not a member of the hacker-community.  But I've
been using postgres for a good number of years now (since v7, I think)
and have become quite accustomed to the names of the tools in
use, have never observed any clashes with other tools, and as a
Linux/Unix sys-admin type of person never had a problem with
mistaking createuser for useradd or adduser.

And I'll stick by the old maxim:  if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

>    Regards,
>
>      Dawid

Cheers,
Andrej

>  PS: And I feel it feels more natural to say "pg createuser" than "pgc
>  create user", but that's solely my "typing impression".

And it's noticeably shorter to just type createuser ;} ... which worked a
treat for many many moons.

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

От: Ben
Сообщение: Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
От: Colin Wetherbee
Сообщение: Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)