Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken
Дата
Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On 7/12/23 8:49 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 11 Jul 2023, at 20:14, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im> wrote:

>>> tool.
>>>
>>> And the link is https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/postgresql.
>>>
>>> However, the link is broken. Please consider changing the link. Thanks.
>>
>> Homebrew does not (no longer?) provides a formula named postgresql;
>> instead, it provides a formula for each of the Postgres major
>> versions.
>
>> Perhaps this webpage can provide the brew command to list available
>> formulae, and advise to install one from the result.
>
> I'm not sure it's worth complicating this too much, including brew commands
> means we need to keep up with brew development to make they are still relevant.

We do include commands for other installed (dnf/yum; apt), and we do
provide commands (albeit generic) for installing from some of the
distros (see "Included in Distribution").

> Since the package page for the postgresql15 package lists all the other
> postgresqlXX packages available, why not just link to that (changing it to @16
> when that's available on brew)?  The page also doesn't say Braumeister
> anywhere, so we should perhaps change that while at it?
>
> The attached small diff updates the link with the above. Thoughts?

I don't agree in its entirety. We say we're linking to a "list" of
PostgreSQL downloads, but it's linking to "latest" (which includes a
list of older packages). Additionally, given the way it's structured,
we'd have to update it for every major release anyway, so we may as well
list out the command if we're going to keep showing Homebrew on the
downloads page.

Attached is a revision of your patch.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17977: PorstGreSQL in a jail crashes randomly with Signal 10 bus error
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken