Re: Trigger to run @ connection time?

От Kynn Jones
Тема Re: Trigger to run @ connection time?
Дата
Re: Trigger to run @ connection time?  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Kynn Jones" <kynnjo@gmail.com> writes:
> If one can set up this insert operation so that it happens automatically
> whenever a new connection is made, I'd like to learn how it's done.

For manual psql sessions, you can put some setup commands in ~/.psqlrc.
In any other context I'm afraid you're stuck with modifying your client
application code.

An ON CONNECT trigger enforced by the database seems a bit scary to me.
If it's broken, how you gonna get into the DB to fix it?

I guess I don't know just *how broken* a trigger can be :-) !  I guess what you're saying is that a trigger can be *so badly broken* that, even if executed in response to a regular INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE event, it would disable the database to the point that the only recourse would be to kill the connection and open a new one.  Such a trigger, if it were associated with an CONNECT event, would render the database inaccessible.  It follows from Murphy's law that triggers that are this broken are certainly possible...

Which is a long-winded way to say that I see your point!

Kynn

От: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Сообщение: Re: FROM + JOIN when more than one table in FROM
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Trouble with Savepoints in postgres