Re: unorthodox use of PG for a customer

От Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Тема Re: unorthodox use of PG for a customer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Em 24/08/2018 16:07, David Gauthier escreveu:
> I tried to convince him of the wisdom of one central DB.  I'll try again.
>
> >>So are the 58 database(stores) on the workstation going to be working
> with data independent to each or is the data shared/synced between
> instances?
>
> No, 58 workstations, each with its own DB.  There's a concept of a
> "workarea" (really a dir with a lot of stuff in it) where the script
> runs.  He wants to tie all the runs for any one workarea together and
> is stuck on the idea that there should be a separate DB per workarea.
> I told him you could just stick all the data in the same table just
> with a "workarea" column to distinguish between the workareas.  He
> likes the idea of a separate DB per workarea.  He just doesn't gt it.
>
> >>I'm no expert, but I've dozens of PostgreSQL databases running mostly
> without manual maintenance for years.
>
> Ya, I've sort of had the same experience with PG DBs.  Like the
> everready bunny, they just keep on running.  But these workstations
> are pretty volatile as they keep overloading them and crash them.  Of
> course any DB running would die too and have to be
> restarted/recovered.  So the place for  the DB is really elsewhere, on
> an external server that wouldn't be subject to this volatility and
> crashing.  I told him about transactions and how you could prevent
> partial writing of data sets.
>
> So far, I'm not hearing of anything that looks like a solution given
> the constraints he's put on this.  Don't get me wrong, he's a very
> smart and sharp software engineer.  Very smart.  But for some reason,
> he doesn't like the client/server DB model which would work so nicely
> here.  I'm just trying to make sure I didn't miss some sort of
> solution, PG or not, that would work here.
>
> Thanks for your interest and input everyone !
>

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
> <richter@simkorp.com.br <mailto:richter@simkorp.com.br>> wrote:
>
>     Em 24/08/2018 15:18, David Gauthier escreveu:
>     > Hi Everyone:
>     >
>     > I'm going to throw this internal customer request out for ideas,
>     even
>     > though I think it's a bit crazy.  I'm on the brink of telling
>     him it's
>     > impractical and/or inadvisable.  But maybe someone has a solution.
>     >
>     > He's writing a script/program that runs on a workstation and
>     needs to
>     > write data to a DB.  This process also sends work to a batch
>     system on
>     > a server farm external to the workstation that will create
>     multiple,
>     > parallel jobs/processes that also have to write to the DB as
>     well. The
>     > workstation may have many of these jobs running at the same
>     time.  And
>     > there are 58 workstation which all have/use locally mounted
>     disks for
> [...]
I think its worth to add, PG or not PG, if the workstation crash, you
will be in trouble with ANY database or file solution you choose - but
with PG you can minimize the risk by fine tunning the flush to disk
(either in PG and in OS). When correctly tuned, it works like a tank,
and is hard to defeat.

Regards,

Edson.

От: Dimitri Maziuk
Сообщение: Re: unorthodox use of PG for a customer
От: Andrew Kerber
Сообщение: Re: unorthodox use of PG for a customer