Re: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes

От Drouvot, Bertrand
Тема Re: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 5/9/23 11:00 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2023-05-09 13:38:24 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 12:02 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> I don't think the approach of not having any sort of "registry" of
>>> whether
>>> anybody is waiting for the replay position to be updated is
>>> feasible. Iterating over all walsenders slots is just too expensive -
>>
>> Would it work to use a shared counter for the waiters (or, two
>> counters, one for physical and one for logical), and just early exit if
>> the count is zero?
>
> That doesn't really fix the problem - once you have a single walsender
> connected, performance is bad again.

Just to clarify, do you mean that if there is only one remaining active walsender that, say,
has been located at slot n, then we’d still have to loop from 0 to n in WalSndWakeup()?

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

От: Bharath Rupireddy
Сообщение: Re: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes
От: Peter Smith
Сообщение: Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication