Re: Use case for enabling log_duration other than benchmarking

От Ron
Тема Re: Use case for enabling log_duration other than benchmarking
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/10/23 09:57, Alicja Kucharczyk wrote:
wt., 10 sty 2023 o 14:57 Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> napisał(a):
On 1/10/23 07:14, Alicja Kucharczyk wrote:
Do you know any use case for enabling log_duration? Like 3rd party tools for instance.
I find this parameter pretty much useless (in opposite to log_min_duration_statement) as it does not show the query text, so besides having just the timing logged it is of no use in troubleshooting and often causes huge overhead. Am I missing something?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html

Note

The difference between enabling log_duration and setting log_min_duration_statement to zero is that exceeding log_min_duration_statement forces the text of the query to be logged, but this option doesn't. Thus, if log_duration is on and log_min_duration_statement has a positive value, all durations are logged but the query text is included only for statements exceeding the threshold. This behavior can be useful for gathering statistics in high-load installations.

thank you Ron.
My question is a bit more practical - Does anyone really find it useful?
What value brings the info that 20% of my query are under 1ms and 10% over 1 minute

If your application requires subsecond response, and you're only getting subsecond response some of the time, then you obviously want to know why.  Part of that is checking to see if the database and queries are doing their job.

- If just checked once and then turned off - I can understand to have more visibility into the overall characteristics. But let say someone have it enabled on a production system all the time - what could be the reason for that?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

От: Alicja Kucharczyk
Сообщение: Re: Use case for enabling log_duration other than benchmarking
От: Wiwwo Staff
Сообщение: Disallow execution of shell commands from psql