Re: pgbench: improve --help and --version parsing

От Andrei Korigodski
Тема Re: pgbench: improve --help and --version parsing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> > On July 21, 2018 11:15:51 PM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > > This is, in fact, how it's done in all PG apps.
> > Think there's a fair argument that we should improve that at some point...
> Perhaps.  Peter E. might remember why it's like that.

It was done this way because then there was HAVE_GETOPT_LONG define for systems
that doesn't support getopt_long, see commit 41fde5460387 ("Polish help output.
Allow --help to work with BSD getopts.", Peter Eisentraut, 2001-01-06). Now this
define is not used by any app in src/bin, so I believe there is no need for this
workaround anymore.

By the way, this approach is already not used in pg_waldump and psql handles the
arguments more complex way to avoid the problem under discussion.

> But I'm dubious about changing it in only one app.

Agreed. I have changed handling of the --help and --version options in all apps
where it exhibits the problem described, with the exception for pg_archivecleanup
where getopt is used instead of getopt_long. The separate patch will be proposed
to address it.

The patch is against current master. All tests pass.

От: Dmitry Dolgov
Сообщение: Re: pgbench-ycsb
От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: Reduce amount of WAL generated by CREATE INDEX for gist, gin and sp-gist