Re: Version 14/15 documentation Section "Alter Default Privileges"

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Version 14/15 documentation Section "Alter Default Privileges"
Дата
Re: Version 14/15 documentation Section "Alter Default Privileges"  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2023-11-07 at 17:30 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> You didn't seem to like my SET ROLE suggestion so I removed it.

I thought that the information that you can use SET ROLE to assume
the identity of another role is correct, but leads a bit too far
in the manual page of ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES.

> > +  <para>
> > +   There is no way to change the default privileges for objects created by
> > +   arbitrary roles.  You have run <command>ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES</command>
>
> I find the above sentence odd.  What is its purpose?

I cannot count how many times I have seen the complaint "I have run ALTER DEFAULT
PRIVILEGES, and now when some other user creates a table, the permissions are
unchanged". People tend to think that if you omit FOR ROLE, the change applies to
PUBLIC.

Your improved documentation of "target_role" already covers that somewhat, so if
you don't like the repetition, I'm alright with that.  I just thought it might
be worth stating it explicitly.

I think your patch is fine and ready to go.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Dean Rasheed
Сообщение: Re: Infinite Interval
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Clean up role created in new subscription test.