Re: Why could different data in a table be processed with differentperformance?

От Fabio Pardi
Тема Re: Why could different data in a table be processed with differentperformance?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On 25/09/18 00:28, Vladimir Ryabtsev wrote:

> it is not unusual to have 1GB cache or more...  and do not forget to drop the cache between tests + do a sync
I conducted several long runs of dd, so I am sure that this numbers are fairly correct. However, what worries me is that I test sequential read speed while during my experiments Postgres might need to read from random places thus reducing real read speed dramatically. I have a feeling that this can be the reason.
I also reviewed import scripts and found the import was done in DESCENDING order of IDs. It was so to get most recent records sooner, may be it caused some inefficiency in the storage... But again, it was so for both ranges.

> - how big is your index?
pg_table_size('articles_pkey') = 1561 MB

> - how big is the table?
pg_table_size('articles') = 427 GB
pg_table_size('pg_toast.pg_toast_221558') = 359 GB

Since you have a very big toast table, given you are using spinning disks, I think that increasing the block size will bring benefits. (Also partitioning is not a bad idea.)

If my understanding of TOAST is correct, if data will fit blocks of let's say 16 or 24 KB then one block retrieval from Postgres will result in less seeks on the disk and less possibility data gets sparse on your disk. (a very quick and dirty calculation, shows your average block size is 17KB)

One thing you might want to have a look at, is again the RAID controller and your OS. You might want to have all of them aligned in block size, or maybe have Postgres ones a multiple of what OS and RAID controller have.

> - given the size of shared_buffers, almost 2M blocks should fit, but you say 2 consecutive runs still are hitting the disk. That's strange indeed since you are using way more than 2M blocks.
TBH, I cannot say I understand your calculations with number of blocks...
shared_buffers = 15GB IIRC (justpaste link is gone)

15 * 1024 *1024 = 15728640 KB

using 8KB blocks = 1966080 total blocks

if you query shared_buffers you should get the same number of total available blocks

But to clarify: consecutive runs with SAME parameters do NOT hit the disk, only the first one does, consequent ones read only from buffer cache.

I m  a bit confused.. every query you pasted contains 'read':

        Buffers: shared hit=50 read=2378

and 'read' means you are reading from disk (or OS cache). Or not?

> - As Laurenz suggested (VACUUM FULL), you might want to move data around. You can try also a dump + restore to narrow the problem to data or disk
I launched VACUUM FULL, but it ran very slowly, according to my calculation it might take 17 hours. I will try to do copy data into another table with the same structure or spin up another server, and let you know.

cool, that should also clarify if the reverse order matters or not

> - You might also want to try to see the disk graph of Windows, while you are running your tests. It can show you if data (and good to know how much) is actually fetching from disk or not.
I wanted to do so but I don't have access to Hyper-V server, will try to request credentials from admins.

Couple more observations:
1) The result of my experiment is almost not affected by other server load. Another user was running a query (over this table) with read speed ~130 MB/s, while with my query read at 1.8-2 MB/s.
2) iotop show higher IO % (~93-94%) with slower read speed (though it is not quite clear what this field is). A process from example above had ~55% IO with 130 MB/s while my process had ~93% with ~2MB/s.

I think because you are looking at 'IO' column which indicates (from manual) '..the percentage of  time  the  thread/process  spent [..]  while waiting on I/O.'

Regards,
Vlad

regards,

fabio pardi

От: "Sam R."
Сообщение: Re: To keep indexes in memory, is large enough effective_cache_sizeenough?
От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: link to Slow_Query_Questions from wiki/Main Page