Re: password_encryption default

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: password_encryption default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/22/20 11:34 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>>> As far as that last goes, we *did* get the buildfarm fixed to be all
>>> v11 scripts, so I thought we were ready to move forward on trying
>>> 09f08930f again.  It's too late to consider that for v13, but
>>> perhaps it'd be reasonable to change the SCRAM default now?  Not sure.
>
>> I feel like it is.  I'm not even sure that I agree that it's really too
>> late to consider 09f08930f considering that's it's a pretty minor code
>> change and the up-side to that is having reasonable defaults out of the
>> box, as it were, something we have *long* been derided for.
>
> Well, the argument against changing right now is that it would invalidate
> portability testing done against beta1, which users would be justifiably
> upset about.
>
> I'm +1 for changing both of these things as soon as we branch for v14,
> but I feel like it's a bit late for v13.  If we aren't feature-frozen
> now, when will we be?

As someone who is an unabashed SCRAM fan and was hoping the default
would be up'd for v13, I would actually +1 making it the default in v14,
i.e. because 9.5 will be EOL at that point, and as such we both have
every* driver supporting SCRAM AND every version of PostgreSQL
supporting SCRAM.

(Would I personally love to do it sooner? Yes...but I think the stars
align for doing it in v14).

Jonathan

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Seq Scan vs kernel read ahead
От: legrand legrand
Сообщение: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)