Re: List Ettiquette (perhaps Off Topic by now) was: Re: Database access over the Internet...

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: List Ettiquette (perhaps Off Topic by now) was: Re: Database access over the Internet...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 6:46 AM, charlie derr <cderr@simons-rock.edu> wrote:
> Steve Atkins wrote:

>>> You did not understand the problem!!!!!!!!
>>

>>> My Mailbox which I use for my business is bombed by  over  50.000  spams
>>> per day and I do already heavy filtering.  I have to read my mail  while
>>> I am @work which mean, MOBILE using my cellphone connected to my Laptop.
>>>
>>> Since I read the List ove another channel AND already filtering  my  own
>>> threads (and convert it into a form which is much smaller then  E-Mails)
>>> to get rid of the rest from the list since I am subscribed to  over  120
>>> mailinglists and need less then 3% from it...
>>>
>>> So, peoples now sending me PMs does not help, since it DoS my system and
>>> make it harder for me to work since I have to walk through this messages
>>> I do not need because I have it already seen.
>>
>> Well, go away then.
>>
>> If you are too cheap to receive emails in answer to your questions,
>> stop asking questions.
>>
>> This is not a support channel you should consider using until you
>> learn enough courtesy and basic competence with email to interact
>> in public.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  Steve
>
> I don't think that what Michelle is asking is unreasonable.   While
> certainly not a universal "standard" a significant subset of mailing lists
> definitely support the view that personal replies are unneccessary (and many
> lists forbid/discourage them).

This one does not.  On this list, you reply all to list and user.
That's how it's setup.  And there's a VERY easy to configure option to
stop the mailing list server from sending you a cc when someone has
replied to both you and the list.  I am not hitting reply all then
editing the outbound list everytime Michelle gets on the list.  Not
when she's got a very simple solution she's refused to even try.  I've
seen no confirmation from her that she's tried the solution and it
didn't work.  I have been "shouted at" a lot for not understanding and
terrorizing her.

> I also think (based on what I've read from Michelle here and on other lists)
> that it'd be a drag to lose the participation of someone who has often
> contributed interesting viewpoints/information to technical discussions.

It would.  It's also a shame they can't even try the solution provided
and then report back whether or not it worked.

> In my view, anything that causes people to check more closely about exactly
> where a reply is being sent is a good thing.

Really?  Really?  I spend a fair bit of time on these lists helping
people out.  If I have to examine my reply-tos every time I'm done.  I
hit reply to all and type. Knowing that my reply goes where it's
supposed to.  I have better things to do than argue this point over
and over, and so do a lot of other very helpful folks on this list.
There is an OPTION that fixes the cc problem for people with brain
dead email clients that can't eliminate the duplicate for them.  It's
in the FAQ.  I think we've done enough for those people.

От: Gustavo Rosso
Сообщение: ERROR
От: paulo matadr
Сообщение: Res: Res: Archive files growth!!!