Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 4/27/21 8:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Understood. This approach keeps using the same vmbuffer until we need
>>> another vm page corresponding to the target heap page, which seems
>>> better.
>>
>> But how is ExecInsert() related to REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW?
>
> I was thinking of the CONCURRENTLY path for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW I
> think. Or something.
>
> That actually makes it easier - we already pass in a bistate in the relevant
> paths. So if we add a current_vmbuf to BulkInsertStateData, we can avoid
> needing to pin so often. It seems that'd end up with a good bit cleaner and
> less risky code than the skip_vmbuffer_for_frozen_tuple_insertion_v3.patch
> approach.
>
> The current RelationGetBufferForTuple() interface / how it's used in heapam.c
> doesn't make this quite as trivial as it could be... Attached is a quick hack
> implementing this. For me it reduces the overhead noticably:
>
> REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW mv;
> before:
> Time: 26542.333 ms (00:26.542)
> after:
> Time: 23105.047 ms (00:23.105)

Thanks, that looks promising. I repeated the tests I did on 26/4, and
the results look like this:

old (0c7d3bb99): 497ms
master:          621ms
patched:         531ms

So yeah, that's a bit improvement - it does not remove the regression
entirely, but +5% is much better than +25%.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: Use simplehash.h instead of dynahash in SMgr
От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Detailed reorder buffer stats dumps