Re: Simplified (a-la [G|N]DBM) DB access

От Alexandre
Тема Re: Simplified (a-la [G|N]DBM) DB access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Apr 19, 2005, at 23:24, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 9:40 PM +0400 4/19/05, Alexandre wrote:
>> Lane, thank you, but it is not: PostISAM "generates SQL statements on
>> the fly from traditional ISAM (read, write, start) statements", so it
>> just add overhead, and is not what I'm looking for.
>
> Speaking from experience, as I have a system which hides Postgres
> behind an ISAM interface (though not PostISAM -- I rolled my own DB
> library) as part of a legacy 4GL migration, the overhead's ignorable.
> Dismissing it for that reason's not a good idea.

Does your own ISAM interface also convert ISAM calls to the SQL
queries? If so, then it is also add overhead: make a call to the some
wrapper, which will generate SQL query and send it to the sever, which
will parse, plan and compile it and execute only after that. Desirable:
make a call, which will connect to the server and get row.

But if you write ISAM interface which didn't use SQL, can you tell more
about, please?

I didn't have any legacy application, which I need to move to the new
DB, I just need more simple and fast access.

Regards,
/Alexandre.

От: Alexandre
Сообщение: Re: Simplified (a-la [G|N]DBM) DB access
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: postgresql start/stop/status script