Re: [External] Re: WAL Replication query

От Ron
Тема Re: [External] Re: WAL Replication query
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 11/1/22 08:56, Laurenz Albe wrote:
On Tue, 2022-11-01 at 08:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
Primary has crashed, according to OP; it's not coming back any time soon.  And thus you promote
Secondary to be New Primary, and go about  your work.  When the Old Primary comes back up
(hours or days later), you do a pg_basebackup to make it the New Secondary.
There was no word about failover

On of the purposes of replication is so that you can fail over to it when Primary crashes, right?

or "not coming back any time soon" (that's why I asked for
clarification in my answer).

It does of course depend on what crashes, and how long it takes to restart.

Just the other day, Veeam somehow (for at least the second time) broke all connections to a VM running under ESX.  It took six hours to get fixed.  That VM was running Postgresql.  If the Pg cluster was replicated, I'd have promoted the Secondary to Primary for my customer.

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: [External] Re: WAL Replication query
От: KK CHN
Сообщение: Re: [External] Re: WAL Replication query