Re: UUID v7

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 14.03.24 12:25, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>>> Well, it was correct only for implemented variant. I've made version that implements full table 1 from section
4.1.
>> I think we are still interpreting this differently.  I think uuid_extract_variant should just return whatever is in
thosefour bits. Your function comment says "Can return only 0, 0b10, 0b110 and 0b111.", which I don't think it is
correct. It should return 0 through 15.

> We will return "do not care" bits. This bits can confuse someone. E.g. for varaint 0b10 we can return 8, 9, 10 and 11
randomly.Is it OK? BTW for some reason document lists number 1-15, but your are correct that range is 0-15.

I agree it's confusing.  Before I studied the RFC 4122bis project, I
didn't even know about variant vs. version.  I think overall people will
find this more confusing than useful.  If you just want to know, "is
this UUID of the kind specified in RFC 4122", you can query it with
uuid_extract_version(x) IS NOT NULL.  So maybe we don't need the
_extract_variant function?

От: Amul Sul
Сообщение: Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Bitmap Heap Scan reports per-worker stats in EXPLAIN ANALYZE