Re: postgresql-archive.org

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: postgresql-archive.org
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 2018-08-22 22:48, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-08-22 23:38:17 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On 22/08/2018 21:08, Andres Freund wrote:
>> > I kinda wonder if the postgres community shouldn't do something about
>> > http://www.postgresql-archive.org/.  The name makes it sound somewhat
>> > official, but it doesn't appear to be.  At least I do not know who runs
>> > it. Does somebody else?
>>
>> I understand the concern, but I don't think there is anything we can
>> do.
>>  Our trademark policy allows this kind of thing.

One important thing which seems to have been missed so far, is that it's
fairly common for places to "stop doing <whatever>" if they're asked
nicely
by the OSS project they're doing it in regards to.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if they're thinking they're doing
something
positive for the PG Community.

The whole "we could threaten ..." thing should not be part of our game
plan.
At least, not at this stage. ;)

> Not by my reading, and if so, it'd be useless. But I agree it could be
> more clearly stated.  If so, afaict we couldn't prevent people from
> distributing a backdoored version of postgres as postgres, which'd be
> clearly absurd.

Actual malware things get their own special case handling. ;)

>> The truth is, our archive search and navigation is not good, so there
>> is
>> a third-party opportunity for a better one.  If we don't like that, we
>> should make ours better.
>
> Sure, my point isn't that we should forbid them to operate, but to get
> them to use a name that doesn't sound official, and perhaps note that
> as
> well.

Thinking about it more, is this something we really want to be control
freaky
about? :D

I'm mostly inclined to think we should be encouraging places to set up
things
which help our Community.  This seems like one of them?

As an alternative idea, is it feasible to actually make them an official
part of our Community in some mutually useful way?

Just from the perspective it might help them be around for longer (thus
maybe addressing the potential busted links in ture thing), and they may
have expertise that could be useful.

Caveat -> That's only if they seem to be decent operators though.  If
they're
known to be doing anything dodgy, that's an automatic black flag. ;)

+ Justin