Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access

От Thomas Kellerer
Тема Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access
Дата
Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access  (Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
Harald Armin Massa wrote on 13.08.2006 10:46:
> Do you know for what benefit that happens? I have seen similiar stupidity
> with EJB, having RI within that layer. Why are people doing this? Do they
> know something I miss, or did they just not vivist Databases 101 ?

I think this happens because of the OO/UML hype. People tend to see the database
as a mere storage facility and putting the logic (including RI and other stuff)
in the middle tier. This should make the application more platform independent.

I'm a J2EE developer but with a strong database background and I always have to
fight to get the basic checks into the database. Too many people coming from
MySQL, Access and dBase ("but we can check that in the application logic!")

And MS is going the same way I think (haven't done any .net development though,
but seeing SQL Server's transact SQL I really don't want to use that for
implementing my business logic as well ;)

Regards
Thomas

От: "Harald Armin Massa"
Сообщение: Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access
От: Ron Johnson
Сообщение: Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access