Re: Json table/column design question

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Json table/column design question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2024-05-22 at 22:38 -0500, Skorpeo Skorpeo wrote:
> I was wondering if having unrelated columns in a table is a sound approach when
> using json.  In other words, if I have two collections of unrelated json objects,
> for example "Users" and "Inventory", would it be ok to have one table with a
> "Users" column and a "Inventory" column?  My concern is that from a row
> perspective the columns could be different lengths, such as more inventory
> items as users.  And for any given row the data in one column would have no
> relation to another column. I would only query a single column at a time.
>
> Would this approach be ok or are there pitfalls such that it would be
> advantageous/recommended to have a separate table for each column?

It doesn't matter much if you use one or two columns.
But the word "collection" makes me worry.  Perhaps this article can give
you some ideas:

https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/json-postgresql-how-to-use-it-right/

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Jethish Jethish
Сообщение: Backup failure Postgres
От: sud
Сообщение: Re: Long running query causing XID limit breach