Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!

От Alan Hodgson
Тема Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Assuming you're not a troll ...

On Wed, 2019-10-09 at 20:06 +0100, Pól Ua Laoínecháin wrote:
1) Is my lecturer full of it or does he really have a point?

He's more than full of it. PostgreSQL has had a few bugs over the year that could have resulted in data corruption, but they're pretty rare and fixed as soon as they're found. PostgreSQL is the most reliable software I run, and virtually the only major piece I don't hesitate to upgrade without waiting to see what bugs other people find first.

4) What is the OS of choice for *_serious_* PostgreSQL installations?

That's a religious question, not a technical question. I think even Microsoft makes a decent server OS nowadays. But I expect a large majority of PostgreSQL installations are running on Linux, as are the vast majority of all server apps nowadays. Having said that, I don't run a "serious" PostgreSQL installation; some of the people here run databases that do tens of thousands of TPS and hold many TiB of data. You'd have to ask them I guess.

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!
От: Tim Clarke
Сообщение: Re: Is my lecturer wrong about PostgreSQL? I think he is!