Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?

От Matthew Nuzum
Тема Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?
Дата
Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 3/6/06, Nagita Karunaratne <nagita.k@gmail.com> wrote:
> How big a VPS would I need to run a Postgres DB.
>

> One application will add about 500 orders per day
> Another will  access this data to create and send about 500 emails per day
> A third will access this data to create an after-sales survey for at
> most 500 times per day.
>
> What type of VPS would I need to run a database with this type pf load?
> Is 128 MB ram enough?
> What percentage of a 2.8 GHz CPU would be required?

My problem with running PG inside of a VPS was that the VPS used a
virtual filesystem... basically, a single file that had been formatted
and loop mounted so that it looked like a regular hard drive.
Unfortunately, it was very slow. The difference between my application
and yours is that mine well more than filled the 1GB of RAM that I had
allocated. If your data will fit comfortably into RAM then you may be
fine.

If you really want to know how it will work, try running it yourself.
Two projects that make this really easy and free is the colinux
project[1] which allows you to run a linux VPS in Windows and the
linux-vserver project[2] which is free software that works on pretty
much any linux OS.

Try it out, tinker with the values and that way you won't have to
guess when making your purchase decission.

[1] http://www.colinux.org/ Coperative Linux
[2] http://linux-vserver.org/ Linux-vserver project

--
Matthew Nuzum
www.bearfruit.org

От: Jan de Visser
Сообщение: Hanging queries and I/O exceptions
От: Kevin
Сообщение: Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?