Re: utf8 vs UTF-8

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: utf8 vs UTF-8
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/18/24 07:48, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
>  >>  test1  | loc_test | UTF8   | libc     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8
>  >>  test3  | troels   | UTF8   | libc     | en_US.utf8  | en_US.utf8
>  >
>  > On most if not all platforms, both those spellings of the locale names
>  > will be taken as valid.  You might try running "locale -a" to get an
>  > idea of which one is preferred according to your current libc
>  > installation
>
> "locale -a" on the Ubuntu system outputs this:

>    C.utf8
>    en_US.utf8
>    POSIX

If you expand that to locale -v -a you get:

locale: en_US.utf8      archive: /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
     title | English locale for the USA
    source | Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   address | https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/
     email | bug-glibc-locales@gnu.org
  language | American English
territory | United States
  revision | 1.0
      date | 2000-06-24
   codeset | UTF-8

> So at first, I thought en_US.utf8 would be the most correct locale
> identifier. However, when I look at Postgres' own databases, they have
> the slightly different locale string:
>
>    psql --list | grep -E 'postgres|template'
>    postgres  | postgres | UTF8 | libc | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | ...
>    template0 | postgres | UTF8 | libc | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | ...
>    template1 | postgres | UTF8 | libc | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | ...
>
> Also, when I try to create a database with "en_US.utf8" as locale
> without specifying a template:
>
> troels=# create database test4 locale 'en_US.utf8';
> ERROR:  new collation (en_US.utf8) is incompatible with the collation of
> the template database (en_US.UTF-8)
> HINT:  Use the same collation as in the template database, or use
> template0 as template.

I'm going to say that is Postgres being exact to a fault.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com