Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

От Andrus
Тема Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> Where to get ready binaries which can be copied and ran in Gentoo ? Is
>> there any how-to pages or tips about compiling PostgreSql from source in
>> this Gentoo ?
>
> This would do more harm than good so *don't*.

How can compiling PostgreSql 8.3.x from source on Gentoo do more harm than
good ?
I expect that compiling form source operates on different environment which
will not touch existing
working 8.1.4 server
Only shared resource is listening port (5432) and I can set it to some other
for testing.

> No matter what you do you will have to dump the DB to upgrade it from
> 8.1.x anyway so some downtime is unavoidable. Depending on the contents
> you may even have to fix some bits of the schema since 8.3 is more strict
> than 8.1 in some ways. This is the hard part, and it has *nothing* to do
> with Gentoo; upgrading your installation is the easiest part and will only
> take a few minutes since it is completely automated (2 or 3 commands).

Last shop will closed at 24:00 and first is opened at 6:30 am.
So there is 6.5 hours allowed downtime in every night in this server.
Client applicaton which uses this server and db schema works with lot of 8.2
and 8.3 servers.
So I expect that server version change will be transparent to users.

Andrus.

От: "Holger Hoffstaette"
Сообщение: Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo
От: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Сообщение: Re: still gin index creation takes forever