Re: Is this a bug ?

От George Neuner
Тема Re: Is this a bug ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:27:12 -0500, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/23/19 11:20 AM, Geoff Winkless wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 at 17:09, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As much as I hate to say it, MSFT was right to ignore this bug in the standard.
>> Standards are standards for a reason. It is almost never correct to
>> deliberately ignore them. If you don't like them, then revise the
>> standard.
>>
>> Historically Microsoft ignored standards either because they
>> misunderstood them or because they wanted to lock in their customers,
>> not for any reasons of altruism.
>>
>> For what it's worth, I can see a value to having
>>
>> SELECT 'this is quite a long string'
>>                 'which I've joined together '
>>                 'across multiple lines';
>>
>> although the advantage of it vs using a concat operator is slim.
>
>There is no advantage to using it vs using a concat operator, and all
>disadvantage.

It WAS an advantage querying interactively on 80 character text mode
screens, and when SQL was embedded (directly) into programs written in
other languages.

Regardless of how recent the latest standard - SQL still has many ...
warts really, but I will be charitable and call them "vestiges" ... of
its roots as a 1970s language.

YMMV,
George

От: Stuart McGraw
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
От: Sonam Sharma
Сообщение: Index