Antw: [SQL] Many booleans

От Gerhard Dieringer
Тема Antw: [SQL] Many booleans
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

>>> Chris Griffin <cgriffin@websales.com> 01.12.1999  04.26 Uhr >>>

>  I am working on a DB that keeps information on potential job candidates.
> One of the pieces of information I need to keep is where they are willing to
> relocate. The choices are broken down into 5 regions of the US and northern
> and southern California. There are also choices for the continents plus US
> and world. If the user puts in a search for the US it needs to match any of
> the us regions. If they select any region it needs to match any records with
> US or world selected. Currently I have separate boolean fields for each
> selection. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

I'm not sure if I understood your problem, but think you have a hierarchy of regions:
total | +-reg1 |  | |  +-subreg11 |  | |  +-subreg12 |   +-reg2    |    +-subreg21    |    +-subreg22

If you have a candidate looking for a job in reg1, then
a job in subreg11 should match,
a job in subreg12 shoold also match,
a job in subreg21 shoold not match,

You have to build a table reglookup
candreg    | jobreg
---------------------------
total          | subreg11
total          | subreg12
total          | subreg21
total          | subreg22
reg1         | subreg11
reg1         | subreg12
reg2         | subreg21
reg2         | subreg22
subreg11 | subreg11
subreg12 | subreg12
subreg21 | subreg21
subreg22 | subreg22

Now if you are looking for a job in 'reg1', you write
select j.*  from jobs j, reglookup r where j.region = r.jobreg   and r.candreg = 'reg1';
which gives you all jobs in reg1;

If you have many regions, then the table reglookup can get very large and is not easy to maintain.

I recently wrote a little C-Programm that builds such table, given a much smaller hierarchy table

region       | parent
------------------------------
total          |
reg1          | total
reg2          | total
subreg11  | reg1
subreg12  | reg1
subreg21  | reg2
subreg22  | reg2

Gerhard

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Dipankar Chakrabarti
Сообщение: VACUUM PROBLEM
От: Patrick JACQUOT
Сообщение: Re: [SQL] found a way to update a table with data from another one