Re: Timestamp with timezone question.

От Andrew - Supernews
Тема Re: Timestamp with timezone question.
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 2005-02-21, Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
> Consider a schema designed to store internet mail.
>
> Since pgsql always converts a timestamptz to UTC, we have lost
> the information of the Sender's local timezone.
>
> Should i go with a separete date and timetz ?

No. Consider instead storing a timestamptz with the actual time of the
mail, and a separate field with an interval representing the zone offset.
Then you can use AT TIME ZONE to recover the sender's local time.

e.g. (this table has columns serial, timestamptz, interval)

insert into dtz values (DEFAULT, '2005-03-21 07:05:00 -0800', '2005-03-21 07:05:00 -0800'::timestamp   - '2005-03-21
07:05:00-0800'::timestamptz at time zone 'UTC'

);

(the timestamp - timestamptz thing is just a reasonably reliable way of
getting the timezone offset without complicated parsing.)

select * from dtz;id |           t            |     z
----+------------------------+----------- 1 | 2005-03-21 15:05:00+00 | -08:00:00
(1 row)

select *, t at time zone z as ot from dtz;id |           t            |     z     |         ot
07:05:00
(1 row)

--
Andrew, Supernews

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: George Weaver
Сообщение: Re: Working with XML.
От: Achilleus Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp with timezone question.