Re: Storing text data in databases.

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Storing text data in databases.
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Mallah,

> Is it a good idea to store large amount of text  ( ~ 5-10 K )  in
> database
> columns from performance point of view? or store the text in sperate
> files and store the id of the file  in the databases.

Thanks to the team's work on TOAST, performance is about equal.  Thereal question for you to answer is what better
suitsyour data?  Ifyou are using the database for version control, or to serve web pages,then I would say definitely in
thetable.  However, if this is adocument tracking database just designed to help you find papers, thenI would say use
linkedfiles.

If you store the data in the database, you may have to pay closeattention to your disk allocation.  If this database
seesheavy use,you may even need to move just that table to a seperate disk toprevent disk-access slowdowns.  Of course,
ifyou are using RAID-5,this is not an issue.

-Josh Berus

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Vivek Khera
Сообщение: Re: SQL request to retrieve the type of columns
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Sequencing Problem in Transaction..