Обсуждение: pgAdmin3 feedback

pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jochem van Dieten
Дата:
Some feedback regarding pgAdmin3 (pgadmin3-20030614-Win32 from
http://snake.pgadmin.org/ on Win2K).

Connecting:
When connecting to a database as non-superuser, it shows the message:
An error has occured:
ERROR: pg_shadow: permissin denied
I don't think this is really an error. It is expected behaviour, but the
current message might confude people. Maybe it should say something like
"Insufficient permissions to enumerate users.", but it would be really
neat if the users entry in the left pane just greyed out and the message
only appeared when somebody clicks on it.

Vacuum:
It would be nice if vacuum had the option to do a verbose vacuum and the
result was displayed in screen. Also, a separate button for analyze
would be nice.

View data:
I really like the inline editing of data in tables. Much better then
what it was. However, horizontal and vertical scrollbars only appear
when I maximize the window.

When are you going to release an official alfa/beta version?

Keep up the good work,
Jochem

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Jochem,

Always appreciated.

> Connecting:
> When connecting to a database as non-superuser, it shows the
> message: An error has occured:
> ERROR: pg_shadow: permissin denied
> I don't think this is really an error. It is expected
> behaviour, but the
> current message might confude people. Maybe it should say
> something like
> "Insufficient permissions to enumerate users.", but it would
> be really
> neat if the users entry in the left pane just greyed out and
> the message
> only appeared when somebody clicks on it.

I quite agree with this one, however it's a bit tricky (to do properly)
with PostgreSQL 7.3 as the message will change for localised versions,
so it's difficult to reliably detect what went wrong.

When 7.4 is at a usable state we will have a better way of doing this as
it will include error codes, alternatively we could hack it by only
enumerating users for superusers, or those with select permissions on
pg_shadow.

> Vacuum:
> It would be nice if vacuum had the option to do a verbose
> vacuum and the
> result was displayed in screen. Also, a separate button for analyze
> would be nice.

Agreed (and added to todo).

> View data:
> I really like the inline editing of data in tables. Much better then
> what it was. However, horizontal and vertical scrollbars only appear
> when I maximize the window.

Yes, we've seen this error before. A simple resize normally makes the
scrollbars appear. Andreas: did you get a chance to look at this at all?
Can we just switch the scrollbars on permanently? 99% of the time they
would probably be there anyway...

> When are you going to release an official alfa/beta version?

I was hoping we could aim to coincide with the release/beta for
PostgreSQL 7.4, but that might be a bit ambitious.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>Connecting:
>>When connecting to a database as non-superuser, it shows the
>>message: An error has occured:
>>ERROR: pg_shadow: permissin denied
>>I don't think this is really an error. It is expected
>>behaviour, but the
>>current message might confude people. Maybe it should say
>>something like
>>"Insufficient permissions to enumerate users.", but it would
>>be really
>>neat if the users entry in the left pane just greyed out and
>>the message
>>only appeared when somebody clicks on it.
>>

>I quite agree with this one, however it's a bit tricky (to do properly)
>with PostgreSQL 7.3 as the message will change for localised versions,
>so it's difficult to reliably detect what went wrong.
>
>When 7.4 is at a usable state we will have a better way of doing this as
>it will include error codes, alternatively we could hack it by only
>enumerating users for superusers, or those with select permissions on
>pg_shadow.

I changed the schema code to use pg_user wherever possible, and checking
for access privilege to pg_shadow to try to resolve the encrypted password.

>>Vacuum:
>>It would be nice if vacuum had the option to do a verbose
>>vacuum and the
>>result was displayed in screen. Also, a separate button for analyze
>>would be nice.
>>

>Agreed (and added to todo).
>

>>View data:
>>I really like the inline editing of data in tables. Much better then
>>what it was. However, horizontal and vertical scrollbars only appear
>>when I maximize the window.
>>

>Yes, we've seen this error before. A simple resize normally makes the
>scrollbars appear. Andreas: did you get a chance to look at this at all?
>Can we just switch the scrollbars on permanently? 99% of the time they
>would probably be there anyway...

Nasty wx... There already was some code for non-win32, and I activated
it for win32 now. wxWindows will optimize away the scrollbars if not
initially necessary, and they will never come back... Now the window is
forced extra-small so that scrollbars are necessary right from the start.

>>When are you going to release an official alfa/beta version?
>>

>I was hoping we could aim to coincide with the release/beta for
>PostgreSQL 7.4, but that might be a bit ambitious.

This pessimism is illegal ;-), we should go ahead to match that goal.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"

Cool. Not the most elegant solution, but until we get error codes...

> >I was hoping we could aim to coincide with the release/beta for
> >PostgreSQL 7.4, but that might be a bit ambitious.
> >
> This pessimism is illegal ;-), we should go ahead to match that goal.

Sorry. I shall punish myself immediately by rebuilding one of our W2K
DC's :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jochem van Dieten
Dave Page wrote:

> Agreed (and added to todo).

Is the todo list public (so I don't duplicate requests)?

> I was hoping we could aim to coincide with the release/beta for
> PostgreSQL 7.4, but that might be a bit ambitious.

I don't think it is that ambitious. Maybe it wouldn't have all the
features, but it seems pretty stable and it degrades gracefully
("feature not implemented" messages).

Jochem

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"

Should only be about one of those now iirc (operator class properties).

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"

Missed this bit - yes it is, it's here
http://cvs.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pgadmin3/

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 09:18, Dave Page wrote:
> Missed this bit - yes it is, it's here
> http://cvs.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pgadmin3/

Thanks!
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 09:18, Dave Page wrote:
> Missed this bit - yes it is, it's here
> http://cvs.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pgadmin3/

Pease disguard my last message.
I deleted the symlink and rebuild pgAdmin3.

Here is the output:

checking for wxWindows... yes
configure: error: "Could not find wx-config in /usr"

RPM build errors:
Uploading files

It seems like the ./configure script does not look for
/usr/bin/wxgtk2ud-2.5-config

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 15:05, Dave Page wrote:
> Yes, you need the symlink. It's there to provide a consistent name for
> the config script no matter what build options wx was compiled with. If
> you want to run with a non-standard wx installation, or the non-default
> build, perhaps you can persuade Adam to add --with-wx-config= option to
> override the script name?

Yes, but the name of the wxGTK library can be guessed from these options:
--enable-unicode => u
--enable-debug => d

/usr/bin/wxgtk2{u}{d}-2.5-config

Users can be several wxGTK versions at once. One symlink cannot point to all
version of wxGTK installed. For example, a user may need to install:

- wxGTK 2.4 in shared mode,
- wxGTK 2.5 cvs in shared mode with Unicode.

A Symlink cannot be part of a wxGTK2.5 or a pgAdmin3 package. Or it would
break existing wxGTK2.4 packages.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"

In which case an optional configure flag allows the user to select the
required config script. Whilst you can guess unicode and debug filenames
from the pgAdmin configure options, you cannot figure out what version
of wx is required (2.4 or 2.5), or if the user wants non-unicode linked
against GTK2.

For most people, the current behaviour fits with a standard wx
installation. For others, we can provide an override mechanism.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
Jochem van Dieten
Dave Page wrote:
>From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:jochemd@oli.tudelft.nl]
>>
>>Is the todo list public (so I don't duplicate requests)?
>
> Missed this bit - yes it is, it's here
> http://cvs.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pgadmin3/

Some more feature requests (currently running pgadmin3-20030626-Win32):
- refresh button in the "View data" window
- SSL support
- telepathy plugin
- sort users alphabetically in tree view

Jochem

Re: pgAdmin3 feedback

От
"Dave Page"

Sounds reasonable. I'll add it to the todo.

> - SSL support

OK, should be there on the next Slackware builds. Jean-Michel, Andreas -
can you enable ssl on your builds please?

> - telepathy plugin

Mark was working on that. As I can't sense how he's getting on, I'll
assume the dev code has some bugs.

> - sort users alphabetically in tree view

Done (and groups).

Regards, Dave.