Обсуждение: pgAggregate problem any function

pgAggregate problem any function

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi Andreas.

There is a problem by handling of any of the input type.

This patch will just be able to do it.
any -> "any"

But,
Is it likely to be the problem of parser of postgresql?
"ANY" is written in the document.
But, drop isn't made though "ANY" can be registered.

This is with psql.
saito=# DROP AGGREGATE public.newcnt(any);
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "any" at character 30
saito=# DROP AGGREGATE public.newcnt(ANY);
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "ANY" at character 30
saito=# DROP AGGREGATE public.newcnt("ANY");
ERROR:  type "ANY" does not exist
saito=# DROP AGGREGATE public.newcnt("any");
DROP AGGREGATE

Any Comment?

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Вложения

Re: pgAggregate problem any function

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Thanks Hiroshi, patch applied (I ran into that problem in pga2!)

Regards, Dave.

Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Hm,

looking at the patch and the weird pgsql behaviour documented below I
doubt that this is the ultimate fix.
I suspect that
a) this should be handled in qtIdent()
b) other keywords might be affected, e.g. 'char'

Regards,
Andreas

Dave Page wrote:

>Thanks Hiroshi, patch applied (I ran into that problem in pga2!)
>
>Regards, Dave.

We looked at this in pga2 (and I think Frank did implement something in
the end). The problem is that there is a huge list of reserved words
that need checking
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-keywords-appendix.html),
90% of which noone is ever likely to name a type or domain after. Is it
worth the overhead of searching the list in every call to qtIdent?

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
Didn't want to check all keywords, but there are some treated special,
and one of them is "char". I was wondering if "any" will make problems
in other places too, that's why I'd like to see it in qtIdent().

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAggregate problem any function

От
"Dave Page"

I guess we should really check them all. Can we jsut lift the relevant
bits of
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/backend/pars
er/keywords.c?rev=1.141&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup, or would you
prefer it was done a different way?

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

>I guess we should really check them all. Can we jsut lift the relevant
>bits of
>http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/backend/pars
>er/keywords.c?rev=1.141&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup, or would you
>prefer it was done a different way?

I just added this to qtIdent using the original pgsql files, but I
wasn't too happy with it currently commented out).

We need to have at least two qtIdent varieties, because there are cases
when we *need* non-quoted keywords.

while
CREATE TABLE (colname "char")
is valid,
CREATE TABLE (colname "char"(20))
is not.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAggregate problem any function

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm. Currently it breaks the build because parser/keywords.h is missing.
keywords.c istelf has a bunch of additional includes that won't be there
as well.

> We need to have at least two qtIdent varieties, because there are
cases
> when we *need* non-quoted keywords.
>
> while
> CREATE TABLE (colname "char")
> is valid,
> CREATE TABLE (colname "char"(20))
> is not.

Urggh, I see what you mean. There will also be a fine distinction
between the two functions which I can see introducing a few bugs along
these lines.

We've had no complaints about keywords causing problems anywhere (in
pga2 or pga3), and the aggregate problem is obviously a real one - I
vote we go with Hiroshi's patch for now, and take a closer look for the
next version. The number of places qtIdent is used, I think there is too
much scope to accidently break things in the way you demonstrated above
this close to release.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
I added all to cvs, copying them from pgsql or creating dummy ones.
linux not done yet.

>We've had no complaints about keywords causing problems anywhere (in
>pga2 or pga3), and the aggregate problem is obviously a real one - I
>vote we go with Hiroshi's patch for now, and take a closer look for the
>next version. The number of places qtIdent is used, I think there is too
>much scope to accidently break things in the way you demonstrated above
>this close to release.

Agreed.

Regards,
Andreas

From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>

> Dave Page wrote:
(snip)
> >We've had no complaints about keywords causing problems anywhere (in
> >pga2 or pga3), and the aggregate problem is obviously a real one - I
> >vote we go with Hiroshi's patch for now, and take a closer look for the
> >next version. The number of places qtIdent is used, I think there is too
> >much scope to accidently break things in the way you demonstrated above
> >this close to release.
> >
> Agreed.

To make a better thing. too.
I am sleepy fo JST time.:-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: pgAggregate problem any function

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:

>I am sleepy fo JST time.:-)

Can't understand that, 22:30 is best working time!

Regards,
Andreas

From: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>

> Hiroshi Saito wrote:
>
> >I am sleepy fo JST time.:-)
> >
> Can't understand that, 22:30 is best working time!

Oh.
I must seem to fight against the iron person.
I go to buy "time" in the department store.:-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito