Обсуждение: Smoother PostgreSQL icons

Smoother PostgreSQL icons

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I noticed that the included PostgreSQL elephant icons (that are used by some
packages to create menu entries and so on) are kind of boxy: elephant48.xpm,
pgAdmin3.ico, pgAdmin3.xpm.  I've created some new ones from the master
source in .ai format: http://www.credativ.com/~pei/pgadmin-icons/.  You can
also easily create those yourself at build time using ImageMagick or let the
packagers build them if you include the .ai in your CVS.

Re: Smoother PostgreSQL icons

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>I noticed that the included PostgreSQL elephant icons (that are used by some
>packages to create menu entries and so on) are kind of boxy: elephant48.xpm,
>pgAdmin3.ico, pgAdmin3.xpm.  I've created some new ones from the master
>source in .ai format: http://www.credativ.com/~pei/pgadmin-icons/.  You can
>also easily create those yourself at build time using ImageMagick or let the
>packagers build them if you include the .ai in your CVS.

These images look better on a white background, unfortunately on a
colored background (e.g. win32 desktop) the smoothing algorithm causes
an ugly white edge. This problem was the reason why I made them
full-color. With smoothing, a gradual transparency would be needed, I
believe icons can't do that. Any idea?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Smoother PostgreSQL icons

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le dimanche 25 Avril 2004 19:30, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> These images look better on a white background, unfortunately on a
> colored background (e.g. win32 desktop) the smoothing algorithm causes
> an ugly white edge. This problem was the reason why I made them
> full-color. With smoothing, a gradual transparency would be needed, I
> believe icons can't do that. Any idea?

Dear Andreas,

Nice and good looking icons. Maybe you can apply a gray smoothing in the
background.

To achieve this, you can duplicate the layer, apply gaussian blur, make it 20%
transparent and move the resulting layer to the background. As I do not run
MS Windows, I cannot garantee results under Win32, just a thought...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Smoother PostgreSQL icons

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> These images look better on a white background, unfortunately on a
> colored background (e.g. win32 desktop) the smoothing algorithm
> causes an ugly white edge. This problem was the reason why I made
> them full-color. With smoothing, a gradual transparency would be
> needed, I believe icons can't do that. Any idea?

On a KDE desktop, these new icons (the PNG ones) look "perfect" whereas
the existing ones look "terrible".  Perhaps we just need a broader
collection of icons and the packager can choose which one is the most
appropriate one.

Re: Smoother PostgreSQL icons

От
blacknoz@club-internet.fr