Обсуждение: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new releases
ofpgAdmin.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2

Modified Files
--------------
pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h |    8 ++++----

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/10/2010 01:06, Dave Page a écrit :
> Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new
releasesof pgAdmin.

> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2
>
> Modified Files
> --------------
> pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h |    8 ++++----

Do we really want to do that? I mean, stopping a connection if a guy is
not on a PostgreSQL maintained release. Actually, there's not much to
fix for theses releases in the pgAdmin's code, so why would we tell
these users to use another admin tool if pgAdmin is already able to deal
with them? I think a hint would be more advised. Something like:

According to the PostgreSQL Support Policy, you're working on an
unmaintained PostgreSQL server. You can get more details on
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy. We
urge you to update your PostgreSQL release on this server. Meanwhile,
you can still use pgAdmin to a certain extent. It should work flawlessly.

Maybe we should add something to tell them we won't do a lots of effort
to debug pgAdmin for these unmaintained releases.

But I don't think we should stop them to use pgAdmin, even if they use a
buggy PostgreSQL release.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 24/10/2010 01:06, Dave Page a écrit :
>> Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new
releasesof pgAdmin.

>> Branch
>> ------
>> master
>>
>> Details
>> -------
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2
>>
>> Modified Files
>> --------------
>> pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h |    8 ++++----
>> 1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>>

> Do we really want to do that? I mean, stopping a connection if a guy is
> not on a PostgreSQL maintained release.

It doesn't stop them, it just warns that it might explode (if memory
serves - certainly thats what happens with new releases).

In any case, unless you're willing to commit to testing every
change/new feature on 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1, we shouldn't pretend
they're supported.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/10/2010 07:43, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 24/10/2010 01:06, Dave Page a écrit :
>>> Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new
releasesof pgAdmin.

>>> Branch
>>> ------
>>> master
>>>
>>> Details
>>> -------
>>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2
>>>
>>> Modified Files
>>> --------------
>>> pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h |    8 ++++----
>>> 1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>>>

>> Do we really want to do that? I mean, stopping a connection if a guy is
>> not on a PostgreSQL maintained release.
>
> It doesn't stop them, it just warns that it might explode (if memory
> serves - certainly thats what happens with new releases).

It actually stop them with a wrong message. I tried with a 7.4 release.
It told me that "The server version 8.2 is older than is supported by
this release of pgAdmin.". It should have been 7.4, not 8.2. And the, it
drops the connection:

  connected = false;
  status = PGCONN_BAD;

What happens with new releases is what we should do with old
unmaintained one, but with a message like the one I sent previously.

> In any case, unless you're willing to commit to testing every
> change/new feature on 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1, we shouldn't pretend
> they're supported.

I'm not willing to do that. If it's not much work, I can still work on
that, but I for sure don't commit to do that. What I would prefer us to
do is allow the connection to an old unmaintained server with a big
warning telling that 1. they should upgrade PostgreSQL, and 2. they
could encounter bugs in pgAdmin as we don't commit to fix them with
unmaintained PostgreSQL releases.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> In any case, unless you're willing to commit to testing every
>> change/new feature on 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1, we shouldn't pretend
>> they're supported.
>>

> I'm not willing to do that. If it's not much work, I can still work on
> that, but I for sure don't commit to do that. What I would prefer us to
> do is allow the connection to an old unmaintained server with a big
> warning telling that 1. they should upgrade PostgreSQL, and 2. they
> could encounter bugs in pgAdmin as we don't commit to fix them with
> unmaintained PostgreSQL releases.

I'm fine with that (like I said, that's what I thought would happen
anyway). Oops.

I'll look into it.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 24/10/2010 08:13, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> In any case, unless you're willing to commit to testing every
>>> change/new feature on 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1, we shouldn't pretend
>>> they're supported.
>>>

>> I'm not willing to do that. If it's not much work, I can still work on
>> that, but I for sure don't commit to do that. What I would prefer us to
>> do is allow the connection to an old unmaintained server with a big
>> warning telling that 1. they should upgrade PostgreSQL, and 2. they
>> could encounter bugs in pgAdmin as we don't commit to fix them with
>> unmaintained PostgreSQL releases.
>
> I'm fine with that (like I said, that's what I thought would happen
> anyway). Oops.
>
> I'll look into it.

Thanks :)

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 24/10/2010 08:13, Dave Page a écrit :
>>>>

>>> I'm not willing to do that. If it's not much work, I can still work on
>>> that, but I for sure don't commit to do that. What I would prefer us to
>>> do is allow the connection to an old unmaintained server with a big
>>> warning telling that 1. they should upgrade PostgreSQL, and 2. they
>>> could encounter bugs in pgAdmin as we don't commit to fix them with
>>> unmaintained PostgreSQL releases.
>>
>> I'm fine with that (like I said, that's what I thought would happen
>> anyway). Oops.
>>
>> I'll look into it.
>>

> Thanks :)

Done.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 25/10/2010 04:59, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 24/10/2010 08:13, Dave Page a écrit :

>>> I'm fine with that (like I said, that's what I thought would happen
>>> anyway). Oops.
>>>
>>> I'll look into it.
>>>

>> Thanks :)
>
> Done.