Обсуждение: Replication references

Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Hi!

I know we've  had some discussions around what to do with the Slony
support.. But it's there now, and IIRC the deal was we keep it. I
would, however, suggest that we rename it to actually be "slony
replication" rather than "replication". Or "Use slony" rather than
"Use replication". Calling it "replication" without qualifying it
causes confusion to many users (came across it with a client just
today, and it's not the first time).

I realize we're fairly close to release - is this doable for 1.14, or
will that fsck things up for translators?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Replication references

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 20 June 2011 21:40, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know we've  had some discussions around what to do with the Slony
> support.. But it's there now, and IIRC the deal was we keep it.

That was the deal. FWIW, I consider our Slony support to be less than
useless, in that it is basically a GUI analogue to writing a long
Slonik script full of apparently redundant entries.

> I would, however, suggest that we rename it to actually be "slony
> replication" rather than "replication". Or "Use slony" rather than
> "Use replication". Calling it "replication" without qualifying it
> causes confusion to many users (came across it with a client just
> today, and it's not the first time).
>
> I realize we're fairly close to release - is this doable for 1.14, or
> will that fsck things up for translators?

+1

It isn't that hard to translate a few strings into all supported
languages. If a translator isn't available to translate those few
strings (and they'd have to not be answering any e-mail for that to be
the case, and it will take them less than 5 minutes), that's likely to
be in a language that isn't so widely spoken  - it certainly won't be
French or German. I'd be willing to live with a poor machine
translation for a little while for those languages. If someone
complains, the complaint is likely to be all we need to fix the
problem ourselves.

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:45, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 20 June 2011 21:40, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I know we've  had some discussions around what to do with the Slony
>> support.. But it's there now, and IIRC the deal was we keep it.
>
> That was the deal. FWIW, I consider our Slony support to be less than
> useless, in that it is basically a GUI analogue to writing a long
> Slonik script full of apparently redundant entries.
>
>> I would, however, suggest that we rename it to actually be "slony
>> replication" rather than "replication". Or "Use slony" rather than
>> "Use replication". Calling it "replication" without qualifying it
>> causes confusion to many users (came across it with a client just
>> today, and it's not the first time).
>>
>> I realize we're fairly close to release - is this doable for 1.14, or
>> will that fsck things up for translators?
>
> +1
>
> It isn't that hard to translate a few strings into all supported
> languages. If a translator isn't available to translate those few
> strings (and they'd have to not be answering any e-mail for that to be
> the case, and it will take them less than 5 minutes), that's likely to
> be in a language that isn't so widely spoken  - it certainly won't be
> French or German. I'd be willing to live with a poor machine
> translation for a little while for those languages. If someone
> complains, the complaint is likely to be all we need to fix the
> problem ourselves.

So, something like this. I went with calling the field inthe dialogs
"Use Slony" rather than "Use Slony replication", simply because the
second option is very long - much much longer than anything else
there, leading to a lot of wasted space.

Comments?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Вложения

Re: Replication references

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 23:45, Peter Geoghegan <peter@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 20 June 2011 21:40, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I know we've  had some discussions around what to do with the Slony
>>> support.. But it's there now, and IIRC the deal was we keep it.
>>
>> That was the deal. FWIW, I consider our Slony support to be less than
>> useless, in that it is basically a GUI analogue to writing a long
>> Slonik script full of apparently redundant entries.
>>
>>> I would, however, suggest that we rename it to actually be "slony
>>> replication" rather than "replication". Or "Use slony" rather than
>>> "Use replication". Calling it "replication" without qualifying it
>>> causes confusion to many users (came across it with a client just
>>> today, and it's not the first time).
>>>
>>> I realize we're fairly close to release - is this doable for 1.14, or
>>> will that fsck things up for translators?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> It isn't that hard to translate a few strings into all supported
>> languages. If a translator isn't available to translate those few
>> strings (and they'd have to not be answering any e-mail for that to be
>> the case, and it will take them less than 5 minutes), that's likely to
>> be in a language that isn't so widely spoken  - it certainly won't be
>> French or German. I'd be willing to live with a poor machine
>> translation for a little while for those languages. If someone
>> complains, the complaint is likely to be all we need to fix the
>> problem ourselves.
>>

> So, something like this. I went with calling the field inthe dialogs
> "Use Slony" rather than "Use Slony replication", simply because the
> second option is very long - much much longer than anything else
> there, leading to a lot of wasted space.
>
> Comments?

It should be "Slony Replication" for the menu and the collection
factory name, not "Slony replication". Otherwise it seems OK.

I would like to hear from Guillaume before breaking the translations though.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 18:03, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> That was the deal. FWIW, I consider our Slony support to be less than
>>> useless, in that it is basically a GUI analogue to writing a long
>>> Slonik script full of apparently redundant entries.

>>> +1
>>>
>>> It isn't that hard to translate a few strings into all supported
>>> languages. If a translator isn't available to translate those few
>>> strings (and they'd have to not be answering any e-mail for that to be
>>> the case, and it will take them less than 5 minutes), that's likely to
>>> be in a language that isn't so widely spoken  - it certainly won't be
>>> French or German. I'd be willing to live with a poor machine
>>> translation for a little while for those languages. If someone
>>> complains, the complaint is likely to be all we need to fix the
>>> problem ourselves.
>>>

>> So, something like this. I went with calling the field inthe dialogs
>> "Use Slony" rather than "Use Slony replication", simply because the
>> second option is very long - much much longer than anything else
>> there, leading to a lot of wasted space.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> It should be "Slony Replication" for the menu and the collection
> factory name, not "Slony replication". Otherwise it seems OK.

Agreed. Actually I thought I had fixed that already :D

> I would like to hear from Guillaume before breaking the translations though.

Yeah, I was planning to wait for his comment before committing anything.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Replication references

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 18:10 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 18:03, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> >> So, something like this. I went with calling the field inthe dialogs
> >> "Use Slony" rather than "Use Slony replication", simply because the
> >> second option is very long - much much longer than anything else
> >> there, leading to a lot of wasted space.
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >
> > It should be "Slony Replication" for the menu and the collection
> > factory name, not "Slony replication". Otherwise it seems OK.
>
> Agreed. Actually I thought I had fixed that already :D
>

> > I would like to hear from Guillaume before breaking the translations though.
>
> Yeah, I was planning to wait for his comment before committing anything.

No problem with me. We have no updates to the translation yet, so that's
not an issue.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 00:07, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 18:10 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > It should be "Slony Replication" for the menu and the collection
>> > factory name, not "Slony replication". Otherwise it seems OK.
>>
>> Agreed. Actually I thought I had fixed that already :D
>>

>> > I would like to hear from Guillaume before breaking the translations though.
>>
>> Yeah, I was planning to wait for his comment before committing anything.
>>

> No problem with me. We have no updates to the translation yet, so that's
> not an issue.

Ok, applied.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Replication references

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 11:41 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 00:07, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> >> Agreed. Actually I thought I had fixed that already :D

> >> Yeah, I was planning to wait for his comment before committing anything.
> >>

> > No problem with me. We have no updates to the translation yet, so that's
> > not an issue.
>
> Ok, applied.

I thought this one would go also in 1.14 branch. Any reason why I don't
see it there? forgot a push, Magnus? :)

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:10, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 11:41 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > No problem with me. We have no updates to the translation yet, so that's
>> > not an issue.
>>
>> Ok, applied.
>>

> I thought this one would go also in 1.14 branch. Any reason why I don't
> see it there? forgot a push, Magnus? :)

I wasn't planning to - do we really want to change the name of a node
in a minor release?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Replication references

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sunday, June 26, 2011, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:10, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Ok, applied.
>>>

> I wasn't planning to - do we really want to change the name of a node
> in a minor release?

No, but weren't you trying to get it into 1.14?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 19:52, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 26, 2011, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> I wasn't planning to - do we really want to change the name of a node
>> in a minor release?
>
> No, but weren't you trying to get it into 1.14?

Oh. Crap. Yes.

I need to pay more attention :O

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Replication references

От
Jasmin Dizdarevic
Дата:
Hi,

I thought it should be "Slony Replication" in the tree, but the latest master-build show's: "Replication"?

Am I doing wrong, or is this wanted?

2011/6/26 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 19:52, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 26, 2011, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> I wasn't planning to - do we really want to change the name of a node
>> in a minor release?
>
> No, but weren't you trying to get it into 1.14?

Oh. Crap. Yes.

I need to pay more attention :O

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Replication references

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Certainly works for me, so something is wrong for you. Did you
rebuild? Could be a dependency miss o rsomething..

//magnus