Обсуждение: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

От
"Marc Cuypers"
Дата:
Hi,

I migrated a few tables to postgresql. Everything migrated fine, but tablenames that contain capitals are converted just as is.  When I create a query, postgresql doesn't seem to use those captitals and converts them to lowercase.  This makes that the table is not found in the database and I get an error.  I the database is a table 'Invoices', so the respons to the query 'select * from Invoices' is 'Relation invoices doesn't exist' .

Can someone help me with this?

Thanx,

Marc

Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi,

Either change your query to:

SELECT * FROM "Invoices"

or, on the first step in the Migration Wizard, use the options to shift names to lower case, and re-migrate your data.

Of course, if you only have a few tables/columns you could just rename them in pgAdmin.

Regards, Dave.
I migrated a few tables to postgresql. Everything migrated fine, but tablenames that contain capitals are converted just as is.  When I create a query, postgresql doesn't seem to use those captitals and converts them to lowercase.  This makes that the table is not found in the database and I get an error.  I the database is a table 'Invoices', so the respons to the query 'select * from Invoices' is 'Relation invoices doesn't exist' .

Can someone help me with this?

Thanx,

Marc

Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

От
Dino Nardini
Дата:
Hello,

I ran into similiar problems when migrating tables from MSSQL to Postgres.  Typically I create table names such as "TableName" and column names such as "TableID" in MSSQL.  If there exists a table called "TableName" and a column called "TableID" why won't the following query work in postgres:

SELECT TableID FROM TableName

I guess that my question is: why does Postgres muck around with the case?   Double quoting all tables and columns in a database that contains dozens of tables is far too much work, and I don't understand why I need to drop all my labels to lowercase in the DB.  Is there no way to override this behavior?

Cheers... Dino

At 09:10 AM 28/03/2002 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
[...]

_____________________________________
Rivendell Software - Dynamic Web Solutions
www.rivendellsoftware.com
tel 902.461.0720
cell 902.802.0867

Re: Migrating from MS-Access to Postgresql

От
Dave Page

I ran into similiar problems when migrating tables from MSSQL to Postgres.  Typically I create table names such as "TableName" and column names such as "TableID" in MSSQL.  If there exists a table called "TableName" and a column called "TableID" why won't the following query work in postgres:

SELECT TableID FROM TableName

I guess that my question is: why does Postgres muck around with the case?   Double quoting all tables and columns in a database that contains dozens of tables is far too much work, and I don't understand why I need to drop all my labels to lowercase in the DB.  Is there no way to override this behavior?

PostgreSQL is doing this as per the SQL spec (don't ask me what part, I'm just quoting what others have told me). You would get more knowledgable answers on one of the PostgreSQL lists - all I can really offer is advice on how pgAdmin can help you (by dropping the case or quoting).

Regards, Dave.