Обсуждение: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
andre farias
Дата:
hi there!

i'm having problems in a debian box running gnome 2.2

i´ve installed pgadmin3 and when i try to execute it at the console prompt ít gives me the following message "GTK cannot open display". if i try to execute it through the shortcut in the gnome desktop nothing happens (the application doesn't appear and no message is shown).

if someone could help me it would be great.

tks

andré

Yahoo! Mail - Agora com 250MB de espaço gratuito. Abra uma conta agora!

Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
andre farias a écrit :

> hi there!

Hi André,

> i'm having problems in a debian box running gnome 2.2

> i´ve installed pgadmin3 and when i try to execute it at the console
> prompt ít gives me the following message "GTK cannot open display".

Please, can you precise which pgAdmin III version you are running and if
you are using a Debian package or a self build? If using a package can
you precise the version of the package (dpkg -l pgadmin3 should suffice)?

> if i try to execute it through the shortcut in the gnome desktop
> nothing happens (the application doesn't appear and no message is shown).
> if someone could help me it would be great.

So, I'm gonna try ;)

I suppose you did the "mandatory" checks ?
Do other apps launch ok?
what gives echo $DISPLAY?
what if you launch a gnome-terminal from the terminal you just opened?
can you provide a log file with the strace of the pgadmin3 launch?
$ script pipo.log
then
$ strace -f pgadmin3
....<bla bla bla>
$ exit

Gzip the file and send it to us, that may help to figure out what's
going on.

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
andre farias
Дата:
Hi Raphaël.

i think you've got it!

all other gtk applications give me the same error
"GTK:  cannot open display" when lauched at the
console tty1

echo $DISPLAY gives me nothing at tty1

i've opened the gnome terminal and there pgadmin3
gives me segmentation fault and the echo $DISPLAY
gives me :0.0

attached goes the strace result.

the version of my pgadmin III is 1.0.2.3.backpo from
ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian

thanks a lot for the help!!!

andré

 --- Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz@club-internet.fr>
escreveu:
> andre farias a écrit :
>
> > hi there!
>
> Hi André,
>
> > i'm having problems in a debian box running gnome
> 2.2
>

> > i´ve installed pgadmin3 and when i try to execute
> it at the console
> > prompt ít gives me the following message "GTK
> cannot open display".
>

> Please, can you precise which pgAdmin III version
> you are running and if
> you are using a Debian package or a self build? If
> using a package can
> you precise the version of the package (dpkg -l
> pgadmin3 should suffice)?
>
> > if i try to execute it through the shortcut in the
> gnome desktop
> > nothing happens (the application doesn't appear
> and no message is shown).
> > if someone could help me it would be great.
>
> So, I'm gonna try ;)
>
> I suppose you did the "mandatory" checks ?
> Do other apps launch ok?
> what gives echo $DISPLAY?
> what if you launch a gnome-terminal from the
> terminal you just opened?
> can you provide a log file with the strace of the
> pgadmin3 launch?
> $ script pipo.log
> then
> $ strace -f pgadmin3
> ....<bla bla bla>
> $ exit
>
> Gzip the file and send it to us, that may help to
> figure out what's
> going on.
>
> Regards,
> Raphaël
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map
> settings

Yahoo! Mail - Agora com 250MB de espaço gratuito. Abra
uma conta agora! http://br.info.mail.yahoo.com/
Вложения

Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
andre farias wrote:
> Hi Raphaël.

Hi André,

sorry for the delay,

> i think you've got it!

mmmh not sure we got it all ;)

> all other gtk applications give me the same error
> "GTK:  cannot open display" when lauched at the
> console tty1
>
> echo $DISPLAY gives me nothing at tty1

ok, so this part is normal:
pgAdmin is a GUI and needs a X server. There is no good reason to launch
it from tty1.

> i've opened the gnome terminal and there pgadmin3
> gives me segmentation fault and the echo $DISPLAY
> gives me :0.0
>
> attached goes the strace result.
>
> the version of my pgadmin III is 1.0.2.3.backpo from
> ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian

So, you are using a backport which was made for Debian/stable (aka woody).
I'm gonna check it twice but I don't remember that Gnome 2.2 is
distributed with Woody, to me it's 1.4 and maybe part of Gnome 2.0.

Can you tell us which Debian release you are using and from where your
Gnome 2.2 comes from?

If you are using woody + backports, a rebuild of the package may help
(or not). If you are using sarge or unstable, you should definitely
update your installation (sarge is moving to Gnome 2.8) and change your
sources.list for pgAdmin III packages.

A backtrace may help too in addition to the strace log you have already
sent.
$ gdb pgadmin3
at (gdb) prompt, type "run" and whent it crashes type "bt"

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
andre farias
Дата:
Hi Raphaël!

Just to let you know I've downgraded my Gnome to
version 1.4 and everything(pgadmin) is working fine.

My Debian version is 3.0r2(woody stable) and the Gnome
backport 2.2 was downloaded from:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
http://mirror.raw.no/

Raphaël, unfortunately I've had to do that because I
were in a hurry(lots of job to be done).

But it's ackward to downgrade gnome!!!

I'll try it again when I have a little more time.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Instale o discador do Yahoo! agora. http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/ - Internet rápida e grátis

Re: problems with debian+gnome2.2+pgadmin3

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
andre farias wrote:

>Hi Raphaël!

Hi André,

>Just to let you know I've downgraded my Gnome to
>version 1.4 and everything(pgadmin) is working fine.

Ok, I'll also try to backport 1.2.0 as soon as I have more time.

>My Debian version is 3.0r2(woody stable) and the Gnome
>backport 2.2 was downloaded from:
>http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
>http://mirror.raw.no/
>Raphaël, unfortunately I've had to do that because I
>were in a hurry(lots of job to be done).
>But it's ackward to downgrade gnome!!!
>I'll try it again when I have a little more time.

Thanks for your feedback. My bet is that if you re-upgrade to gnome 2.2
you have to rebuild pgAdmin III from debian source. Maybe sarge will be
out until that :).
If you need further assistance for the rebuild of the package with your
gnome 2.2 version, just come back to the list. I'll try to do my best.

>Thanks a lot for your help!

You're welcome :)
Have fun!
Raphaël