Обсуждение: Moving from pg 7.4/cygwin to 8, questions about pgadmin

Moving from pg 7.4/cygwin to 8, questions about pgadmin

От
"Jon V."
Дата:
Hello the group,

Background: I have a pretty major problem (for me) on my hands. I've been
running PostgreSQL 7.4 under cygwin one a whole bunch of machines. One of
them, a larger box, needs to be able to handle large numbers (150+) of
connections. PostgreSQL under cygwin is limited to about 62 connections...I
didn't realize that, the box is in the field, it is turning into a Major
Issue...and I'm told to "fix it now". I'd love to....

I need to upgrade to version 8, which I supposedly doesn't have that
limitation.

My problem is that all of our support and administration is done through
pgadmin2. Pgadmin2 is awesome. Powerful, maybe a little quirky, but full of
features. PgadminIII and I aren't getting along. Honestly I think it is a
huge step backwards...no, sideways, as it has some other nice features 2
didn't...but then the first thing I tried to do (import an initial dataset)
blocked me and maybe left a taste in my mouth.

So I'm trying to come up with work-arounds. On a deadline.

I tried to get pgadmin2 to work with pgSQL 8, but it doesn't seem to want to
play along. Is it possible?
Are there other tools that can work together with pgadminIII to provide the
little stuff?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--
Jon

Re: Moving from pg 7.4/cygwin to 8, questions about pgadmin

От
"Dave Page"

Hello.

> So I'm trying to come up with work-arounds. On a deadline.
>
> I tried to get pgadmin2 to work with pgSQL 8, but it doesn't
> seem to want to
> play along. Is it possible?

No, I'm afraid not. If you have to use pga2, then I would suggest
importing/migrating to an older version of PostgreSQL, then upgrade it
to 8.0 when the data is there.

> Are there other tools that can work together with pgadminIII
> to provide the
> little stuff?

Depends on what you call the 'little stuff'. The migration and import
wizards have not been ported across, I have used COPY in psql, and
Microsoft DTS in their place.

Regards, Dave.