Обсуждение: How to view geometry fields as text?

How to view geometry fields as text?

От
"Stefan Keller"
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm using geometry fields which are stored in a large binary
representation (so called Well Known Binary). Now I'd like to see the
lines and coordinates stored in it as human readable text.
Unfortunately, I think, there's currently no way to do this?

If yes, I have an idea: There exists a pgsql function called
'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to
view data?

Stefan

How to view geometry fields as text?

От
"Stefan Keller"
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm using geometry fields which are stored in a large binary
representation (so called Well Known Binary). Now I'd like to see the
lines and coordinates stored in it as human readable text.
Unfortunately, I think, there's currently no way to do this?

If yes, I have an idea: There exists a pgsql function called
'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to
view data?

Stefan

Re: How to view geometry fields as text?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Stefan Keller a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using geometry fields which are stored in a large binary
> representation (so called Well Known Binary). Now I'd like to see the
> lines and coordinates stored in it as human readable text.
> Unfortunately, I think, there's currently no way to do this?

Nope.

> If yes, I have an idea: There exists a pgsql function called
> 'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
> data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to
> view data?

You can use this function to filter data, but you can't use it to change
the column's way to display the data.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: How to view geometry fields as text?

От
"Stefan Keller"
Дата:
Salut Guillaume,

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> (...) There exists a pgsql function called
>> 'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
>> data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to view data?
>
> You can use this function to filter data, but you can't use it to change
> the column's way to display the data.

Ok, fine.

But what about extending pgadmin with such a functionality?
This could be useful for many data types.

Stefan
2008/11/29 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Stefan Keller a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using geometry fields which are stored in a large binary
>> representation (so called Well Known Binary). Now I'd like to see the
>> lines and coordinates stored in it as human readable text.
>> Unfortunately, I think, there's currently no way to do this?
>>

> Nope.
>
>> If yes, I have an idea: There exists a pgsql function called
>> 'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
>> data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to
>> view data?
>>

> You can use this function to filter data, but you can't use it to change
> the column's way to display the data.
>

> --
> Guillaume.
>  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
>  http://dalibo.com

Re: How to view geometry fields as text?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Stefan Keller a écrit :
> Salut Guillaume,
>
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> (...) There exists a pgsql function called
>>> 'st_astext(geometry)'. What about extending the dialog 'View filtered
>>> data' with the possibility to apply functions like this in order to view data?
>> You can use this function to filter data, but you can't use it to change
>> the column's way to display the data.
>
> Ok, fine.
>
> But what about extending pgadmin with such a functionality?
> This could be useful for many data types.

I'm not against this idea. It could be interesting.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com