Обсуждение: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Rainer Bauer
Дата:
Hello,

this is no bug, but a little bit annoying: I sometimes accidently hit
the tab "Graphical Query Builder" in the Query window. No big deal, I
just click on "SQL Editor" to get back, but then a dialog pops up: "No
SQL query was generated.".

Wouldn't it be possible to suppress that dialog?

Rainer

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 09:56:34, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> this is no bug, but a little bit annoying: I sometimes accidently hit
> the tab "Graphical Query Builder" in the Query window. No big deal, I
> just click on "SQL Editor" to get back, but then a dialog pops up: "No
> SQL query was generated.".
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to suppress that dialog?

I looked a bit at this. We could at least avoid the dialog when no tables are
put on the graphical query builder. I suppose it means we need to change the
definition of gqbController::generateSQL() method. There's good chance it will
be seen as a "new feature", rather than a debug.

I'll record a ticket for this.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 17:09, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 09:56:34, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> this is no bug, but a little bit annoying: I sometimes accidently hit
>> the tab "Graphical Query Builder" in the Query window. No big deal, I
>> just click on "SQL Editor" to get back, but then a dialog pops up: "No
>> SQL query was generated.".
>>
>> Wouldn't it be possible to suppress that dialog?
>>

> I looked a bit at this. We could at least avoid the dialog when no tables are
> put on the graphical query builder. I suppose it means we need to change the
> definition of gqbController::generateSQL() method. There's good chance it will
> be seen as a "new feature", rather than a debug.
>
> I'll record a ticket for this.

While not a critical one, I'd qualify this as a bug. It seems like
quite useless behaviour :-)

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 17:58:54, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 17:09, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info>
wrote:
> > Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 09:56:34, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> this is no bug, but a little bit annoying: I sometimes accidently hit
> >> the tab "Graphical Query Builder" in the Query window. No big deal, I
> >> just click on "SQL Editor" to get back, but then a dialog pops up: "No
> >> SQL query was generated.".
> >>
> >> Wouldn't it be possible to suppress that dialog?
> >
> > I looked a bit at this. We could at least avoid the dialog when no tables
> > are put on the graphical query builder. I suppose it means we need to
> > change the definition of gqbController::generateSQL() method. There's
> > good chance it will be seen as a "new feature", rather than a debug.
> >
> > I'll record a ticket for this.
>
> While not a critical one, I'd qualify this as a bug. It seems like
> quite useless behaviour :-)

OK, I've changed the ticket.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 18:12:00, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le vendredi 7 août 2009 à 17:58:54, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> > On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 17:09, Guillaume Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info>
>
> wrote:

> > > I looked a bit at this. We could at least avoid the dialog when no
> > > tables are put on the graphical query builder. I suppose it means we
> > > need to change the definition of gqbController::generateSQL() method.
> > > There's good chance it will be seen as a "new feature", rather than a
> > > debug.
> > >
> > > I'll record a ticket for this.
> >
> > While not a critical one, I'd qualify this as a bug. It seems like
> > quite useless behaviour :-)
>
> OK, I've changed the ticket.

Here is a patch that should fix this. Magnus, care to check it? I'm not ready
to commit it without proper review. It plays with pointers, and that scares me
a bit :)

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Guillaume
Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> Here is a patch that should fix this. Magnus, care to check it? I'm not ready
> to commit it without proper review. It plays with pointers, and that scares me
> a bit :)

Passing a pointer to a wxString around is *always* wrong. It can futz
with the internal reference counting.

--
Dave Page

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 10 août 2009 à 14:49:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Guillaume
>
> Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > Here is a patch that should fix this. Magnus, care to check it? I'm not
> > ready to commit it without proper review. It plays with pointers, and
> > that scares me a bit :)
>
> Passing a pointer to a wxString around is *always* wrong. It can futz
> with the internal reference counting.

If I can't use a pointer, I don't see how I can do this. Or should I just
remove the MessageBox?

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
cite="mid:200908101500.01133.guillaume@lelarge.info"type="cite"><pre wrap=""><tt>Le lundi 10 août 2009 à 14:49:21, Dave
Pagea écrit :

Lelarge<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:guillaume@lelarge.info"><guillaume@lelarge.info></a> wrote:
not
ready to commit it without proper review. It plays with pointers, and
that scares me a bit :)
with the internal reference counting.

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Ashesh
Vashi<ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>
> Le lundi 10 août 2009 à 14:49:21, Dave Page a écrit :
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Guillaume
>
> Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
> Here is a patch that should fix this. Magnus, care to check it? I'm not
> ready to commit it without proper review. It plays with pointers, and
> that scares me a bit :)
>
> Passing a pointer to a wxString around is *always* wrong. It can futz
> with the internal reference counting.
>
> If I can't use a pointer, I don't see how I can do this. Or should I just
> remove the MessageBox?
>
> As per my understanding, you always can use reference in place of pointer.

Yes, just pass by reference:

bool generateSQL(const wxString &query);

--
Dave Page

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Dave Page<dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> If I can't use a pointer, I don't see how I can do this. Or should I just
>> remove the MessageBox?
>>
>> As per my understanding, you always can use reference in place of pointer.
>
> Yes, just pass by reference:
>
> bool generateSQL(const wxString &query);

Of course, you might want to leave out the const decoration.

--
Dave Page

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Dave Page<dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Dave Page<dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>> If I can't use a pointer, I don't see how I can do this. Or should I just
>>> remove the MessageBox?
>>>
>>> As per my understanding, you always can use reference in place of pointer.
>>
>> Yes, just pass by reference:
>>
>> bool generateSQL(const wxString &query);
>
> Of course, you might want to leave out the const decoration.

Looking at this a little more closely, why not just add a new function:

int gqbController::getTableCount() { return model->tablesCount(); }

and call that from frmQuery? Assuming it can't already see model....

--
Dave Page

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 10 août 2009 à 15:17:17, Dave Page a écrit :

> >> Yes, just pass by reference:
> >>
> >> bool generateSQL(const wxString &query);
> >
> > Of course, you might want to leave out the const decoration.
>
> Looking at this a little more closely, why not just add a new function:
>
> int gqbController::getTableCount() { return model->tablesCount(); }
>
> and call that from frmQuery? Assuming it can't already see model....

Why didn't I think about this quite easy solution? no issue with pointer or
reference. So here is the patch.

Thanks Dave and Ashesh :)

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Guillaume
Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Why didn't I think about this quite easy solution? no issue with pointer or
> reference. So here is the patch.

That looks much cleaner :-) Can we get some spaces in the function for
ease of reading please?

int getTableCount() { return model->tablesCount(); };

> Thanks Dave and Ashesh :)

Np.

--
Dave Page

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le lundi 10 août 2009 à 20:57:09, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Guillaume
>
> Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > Why didn't I think about this quite easy solution? no issue with pointer
> > or reference. So here is the patch.
>
> That looks much cleaner :-) Can we get some spaces in the function for
> ease of reading please?

Done, and commited. Thanks.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Rainer Bauer
Дата:
Hello Guillaume,

GL> Done, and commited. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick fix.

However how do I get hold of the latest developement Snapshot?
<http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/win32/> only offers the old beta
releases. And also I do have VS2005, the requirements to build pgAdmin
are pretty high (from the INSTALL file):
- Windows Installer XML v3.
- wxMSW 2.8.x
- libxml2 2.6.18 or above
- libxslt 1.1.x or above
- iconv 1.9.x or above

What I would need is only the pgAdmin3.exe file.
Can this be downloaded somewhere?
If not, when will there be a point release containing the change?

Rainer

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 00:02:30, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
> [...]
> If not, when will there be a point release containing the change?

In fact, there are 16 bug fixes in 1.10, and 1 remaining to be fixed. But I
don't know when we'll have a point release.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Small annoyance in pgAdmin 1.10

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Guillaume
Lelarge<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 00:02:30, Rainer Bauer a écrit :
>> [...]
>> If not, when will there be a point release containing the change?
>>

> In fact, there are 16 bug fixes in 1.10, and 1 remaining to be fixed. But I
> don't know when we'll have a point release.

As none are particularly serious, I'm not currently in a hurry. I do
have a number of issues that have been reported by the EDB QA team
when testing on Solaris SPARC - I'm currently trying (largely in vain
it seems - no wonder they're getting taken over) to buy a box from Sun
to allow me to hack on those issues without having to try to endure
doing it over VNC or X...

--
Dave Page