Обсуждение: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

От
"Taranjit Singh Lamba"
Дата:
Hi All ,

H/W Configuration -     Dell 7150 Quad Itanium 1 ( 733 MHz) with 4G RAM

OS          - Red Hat 7.2
          - Postgresql ver 7.3.3 compiled from raw hide red hat rpms.

Problem : We were able to install postgreSQL 7.3.3 successfully on this enviornment , but server crashes randomly and
throwsfollowing error :
    LOG: server process (pid 11220) was terminated by signal 11
    LOG: terminating any other active server processes
    LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
    LOG: database system was interrupted at 2003-06-17 10:29:08 PDT
    LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/83CEC8
    LOG: redo record is at 0/83CEC8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
    LOG: next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
    LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
    LOG: ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/83CF10
    LOG: redo is not required
    LOG: database system is ready
    FATAL: Database "template0" is not currently accepting connections
    FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "zippool1"
    LOG: fast shutdown request
    LOG: shutting down
    LOG: database system is shut down

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Thanks in Advance !

Regards

Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Always check for bad memory when you see sig 11 first.

There are bugs that can throw a sig11, but if you see them at random
places, with random queries, it's usually bad memory.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Taranjit Singh Lamba wrote:

> Hi All ,
>
> H/W Configuration -     Dell 7150 Quad Itanium 1 ( 733 MHz) with 4G RAM
>
> OS          - Red Hat 7.2
>           - Postgresql ver 7.3.3 compiled from raw hide red hat rpms.
>

> Problem : We were able to install postgreSQL 7.3.3 successfully on this enviornment , but server crashes randomly and
throwsfollowing error :
>     LOG: server process (pid 11220) was terminated by signal 11
>     LOG: terminating any other active server processes
>     LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
>     LOG: database system was interrupted at 2003-06-17 10:29:08 PDT
>     LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/83CEC8
>     LOG: redo record is at 0/83CEC8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
>     LOG: next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
>     LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
>     LOG: ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/83CF10
>     LOG: redo is not required
>     LOG: database system is ready
>     FATAL: Database "template0" is not currently accepting connections
>     FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "zippool1"
>     LOG: fast shutdown request
>     LOG: shutting down
>     LOG: database system is shut down
> ***********************************************************************************************
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated !
>

> Thanks in Advance !
>
> Regards

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
My guess is that we don't have spinlock code for the CPU yet.  I think
it may be in 7.4.

Taranjit Singh Lamba wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> H/W Configuration -     Dell 7150 Quad Itanium 1 ( 733 MHz) with 4G RAM
>
> OS          - Red Hat 7.2
>           - Postgresql ver 7.3.3 compiled from raw hide red hat rpms.
>

> Problem : We were able to install postgreSQL 7.3.3 successfully on this enviornment , but server crashes randomly and
throwsfollowing error :
>     LOG: server process (pid 11220) was terminated by signal 11
>     LOG: terminating any other active server processes
>     LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and semaphores
>     LOG: database system was interrupted at 2003-06-17 10:29:08 PDT
>     LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/83CEC8
>     LOG: redo record is at 0/83CEC8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
>     LOG: next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
>     LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
>     LOG: ReadRecord: record with zero length at 0/83CF10
>     LOG: redo is not required
>     LOG: database system is ready
>     FATAL: Database "template0" is not currently accepting connections
>     FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "zippool1"
>     LOG: fast shutdown request
>     LOG: shutting down
>     LOG: database system is shut down
> ***********************************************************************************************
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated !
>

> Thanks in Advance !
>
> Regards

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

Дата:
"Taranjit Singh Lamba" <taranjits@sizeti.com> writes:
> H/W Configuration -     Dell 7150 Quad Itanium 1 ( 733 MHz) with 4G RAM

> OS          - Red Hat 7.2
>           - Postgresql ver 7.3.3 compiled from raw hide red hat rpms.

[raises eyebrow]  Does RHL 7.2 claim to support Itanium?  Especially SMP
Itanium?  That release was awhile back, I believe, and I'd not be
surprised at kernel bugs that show up with such hardware.

If you've got a fully up-to-date kernel and have eliminated the theory
of memory problems, please send us debugger stack traces from a few of
the crashes.  (The traces will be more useful if you first rebuild with
debugging symbols enabled, which I think is not the default with the
RPMs.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgreSQL 7.3.3 crashing on server with Itanium processor...

Дата:
> My guess is that we don't have spinlock code for the CPU yet.

Out-of-the-box it would probably build with SysV semas instead of
spinlocks, but that's not going to cause crashes, only less-than-stellar
performance.

            regards, tom lane

Fwd PostgreSQL and OpenOffice

От
"Cornelia Boenigk"
From: Joerg Budischewski <joerg@budischewski.com>
To: dev@dba.openoffice.org

Hi,

I'd like to announce the availability of a native postgresql driver
version 0.5.0 for OpenOffice.org database API.

The driver's homepage can be found here:

http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/index.html

The postgresql SDBC Driver allows to use the postgresql database
 from OpenOffice.org without any other wrapper layer such as odbc
 or jdbc. The driver is in a alpha state, the main purpose of this
 version is to collect input from the community about the most
 needed missing features. Treat this driver with care, it is not
 thouroughly tested yet and might (in the worst case) destroy your
 data. If you just want a driver, that just works, you should wait
 some more time. On the other hand, you have the chance to have
 some influence on the current development, so that a final driver
 may support the features you need.

The driver is aimed only at the 1.1 OpenOffice.org versions, it may
 be used without GUI support also in the 1.0.x version (though this
 is not tested yet). I

The final aim is to have an easier to use, faster, more feature
 rich database driver than the jdbc-odbc solution. The current
 version does not meet all these aims yet. Please have a look at
 the open questions paragraph, if you are interested in how you can
 help.

Have fun,

Joerg