Обсуждение: How to support German, French and other characters.

How to support German, French and other characters.

От
"Andrei Bintintan"

Hi to all,

We are using pgsql as a "multilanguage" database. But I noticed yesterday a strange problem with the german umlaut characters. I cannot convert the in upper case in lowercase. Probably there are also other bad functionalities.

Now. I searched the internet for answers but they were not quite exact, so I could't find a solution.

We use ASCII encoding for the database, but I tried the Latin1 -> Latin 10 and the behavior is the same. In some forums there is written something about some "locale" setting... etc etc.

What settings do I have to make so that we won't have these problems in the future. We intend to work with French characters also, and in the future with Hungarian.

As system the pgsql is v.7.4 running on a Suse 9.1 machine. The locale command gives me:

linz:/var/lib/pgsql/data # locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Thank you in advance.
Andy.

Re: How to support German, French and other characters.

От
"Andrei Bintintan"
Дата:
Hi Ivo,

If I use UNICODE encoding for the DB I get some errors:
For example the following query: select lower('MöBÜEL')
returns ERROR:  Unicode characters greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not
supported.

I found this on a forum:
    > postgres 7.4 on linux, glibc 2.2.4-6

    > I've a table containing unicode-data and the lower()-function does not
    > work proper. While it lowers standard letters like A->a,B->b ... it
    > fails on special letters like german umlauts (Ä , Ö ...) that are
simply
    > keeped untouched.

    upper() and lower() didn't support multibyte character sets before 8.0.

We are using these king of comparations and character translations in our
DB.

I really cannot figure out what solution to use.

Best regards,
Andy.