Обсуждение: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Alexander B."
Дата:
Hi,
I need to install XML on Postgres 8.1.
What's the simples steps that I can follow?
I found on the internet, but there are many versions, packages and ways
to install.
What's the right way to install?

Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?

If you could help me!!
Thanks in advance.

Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
Experimente já e veja as novidades.
http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
On 1/22/07, Alexander B. <burbello3000@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to install XML on Postgres 8.1.

XML support is provided in PostgreSQL via a contrib module xml2.
look for xml related folders in contrib folder after untarring the pgsql
source. go through the README files on contrib modules to
know the features.

> What's the simples steps that I can follow?

how have you installed postgresql ?

> I found on the internet, but there are many versions, packages and ways
> to install.
> What's the right way to install?

have you installed from source or rpm ?

> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?

what is your requirement ? postgresql xml2 module i think has xslt and xpath
support. check the README file of xml2 folder.

> If you could help me!!
> Thanks in advance.

> Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
> Experimente já e veja as novidades.
> http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Shoaib Mir"

> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?

I don't think so that current xml2 support is according to the SQL 2003 standards and for now it is I guess just the basic one.

--------------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 1/22/07, Rajesh Kumar Mallah < mallah.rajesh@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/22/07, Alexander B. < burbello3000@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to install XML on Postgres 8.1.

XML support is provided in PostgreSQL via a contrib module xml2.
look for xml related folders in contrib folder after untarring the pgsql
source. go through the README files on contrib modules to
know the features.

> What's the simples steps that I can follow?

how have you installed postgresql ?

> I found on the internet, but there are many versions, packages and ways
> to install.
> What's the right way to install?

have you installed from source or rpm ?

> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?

what is your requirement ? postgresql xml2 module i think has xslt and xpath
support. check the README file of xml2 folder.

> If you could help me!!
> Thanks in advance.

> Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
> Experimente já e veja as novidades.
> http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> > Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?
>
> I don't think so that current xml2 support is according to the SQL
> 2003 standards and for now it is I guess just the basic one.

The functionality of the xml2 contrib module is almost completely
orthogonal to what the SQL standard says in matters of XML.  Whether
either of these are equally "powerful" as what Oracle offers, I can't
say, but since we're currently working on enhanced XML functionality in
8.3, I invite comments on that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Shoaib Mir wrote:
>>> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?
>> I don't think so that current xml2 support is according to the SQL
>> 2003 standards and for now it is I guess just the basic one.
>
> The functionality of the xml2 contrib module is almost completely
> orthogonal to what the SQL standard says in matters of XML.  Whether
> either of these are equally "powerful" as what Oracle offers, I can't
> say, but since we're currently working on enhanced XML functionality in
> 8.3, I invite comments on that.

PeterE do you have a specific TODO I can line item for the pending 8.3
release?

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/XML_Todo

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
On 1/23/07, Alexander B. <burbello3000@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> I installed from source.
> Is there a tutorial to follow the installation?
>
> I don't need so much features using xml, but basically store, request
> and manipulate.

xml2 is just a contrib package. for installing any contrib package
go to contrib folder. read the README file for instructions.
still if you have problem come back here.
sorry i do not know of a tutorial at the moment , but its easy.

PS: please stick to the discussion on the list only.

regds
mallah.

> Thanks for your help.
>

> Rajesh Kumar Mallah escreveu:
> > On 1/22/07, Alexander B. <burbello3000@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I need to install XML on Postgres 8.1.
> >
> > XML support is provided in PostgreSQL via a contrib module xml2.
> > look for xml related folders in contrib folder after untarring the pgsql
> > source. go through the README files on contrib modules to
> > know the features.
> >
> >> What's the simples steps that I can follow?
> >
> > how have you installed postgresql ?
> >
> >> I found on the internet, but there are many versions, packages and ways
> >> to install.
> >> What's the right way to install?
> >
> > have you installed from source or rpm ?
> >

> >> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?
> >

> > what is your requirement ? postgresql xml2 module i think has xslt and
> > xpath
> > support. check the README file of xml2 folder.
> >

> >> If you could help me!!
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>

> >> _______________________________________________________
> >> Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
> >> Experimente já e veja as novidades.
> >> http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/
> >>
> >> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

> Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
> Experimente já e veja as novidades.
> http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah"
Дата:
On 1/22/07, Alexander B. <burbello3000@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to install XML on Postgres 8.1.
> What's the simples steps that I can follow?
> I found on the internet, but there are many versions, packages and ways
> to install.
> What's the right way to install?
>
> Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?

Dear Alexander,

After reading the thread and related resources it looks like xml
support in pgsql may undergo major changes.

hence i suggest that you  abstract the usage of pgsql for xml . so that it
is easy for you to change your app when the xml apis to pgsql changes.
this is easily accomplised by using your own functions that wrap the call
to contrib/xml2 functions. hope you get the point.

regds
mallah.

> If you could help me!!
> Thanks in advance.

> Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
> Experimente já e veja as novidades.
> http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Do we have XML docs indexing mechanism in the todo's for 8.3? as this is one of the problem I faced while moving the Oracle like XML functionality to PostgreSQL using xml2 contrib.

--------------

On 1/24/07, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net > wrote:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> > Can we compare the same powerful like Oracle has on Xml?
>
> I don't think so that current xml2 support is according to the SQL
> 2003 standards and for now it is I guess just the basic one.

The functionality of the xml2 contrib module is almost completely
orthogonal to what the SQL standard says in matters of XML.  Whether
either of these are equally "powerful" as what Oracle offers, I can't
say, but since we're currently working on enhanced XML functionality in
8.3, I invite comments on that.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Do we have XML docs indexing mechanism in the todo's for 8.3? as this
> is one of the problem I faced while moving the Oracle like XML
> functionality to PostgreSQL using xml2 contrib.

Indexing of data types is done in terms of operator classes (or maybe
operator families in 8.3, not sure), but so far no one has proposed to
define any operators whatsoever on the XML type, so I don't see where
any indexing mechanism would come from at the moment.  What does Oracle
offer?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Install XML on Postgres 8.1

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
The following will explain in detail how Oracle handles the XML data and also the indexing and searching mechanism for it:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/04-sep/o54xml.html

-------------

Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Do we have XML docs indexing mechanism in the todo's for 8.3? as this
> is one of the problem I faced while moving the Oracle like XML
> functionality to PostgreSQL using xml2 contrib.

Indexing of data types is done in terms of operator classes (or maybe
operator families in 8.3, not sure), but so far no one has proposed to
define any operators whatsoever on the XML type, so I don't see where
any indexing mechanism would come from at the moment.  What does Oracle
offer?

--
Peter Eisentraut

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster