Обсуждение: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
"sathiya psql"
Дата:
Ok, finally am changing my question.

Do get quick response from postgresql what is the maximum number of records i can have in a table in postgresql 8.1 ???

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:42 AM, sathiya psql <sathiya.psql@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, finally am changing my question.

>  Do get quick response from postgresql what is the maximum number of records
> i can have in a table in postgresql 8.1 ???

I am not sure I understand your question.  maybe this link answers
your question:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
"sathiya psql"

I am not sure I understand your question.  maybe this link answers
your question:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/
this i know.....

this is the documentation limitations...

i need what will be the maximum number of rows to have good performance in postgres 8.1

Regards
Sathiya

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:12 AM, sathiya psql <sathiya.psql@gmail.com> wrote:

> i need what will be the maximum number of rows to have good performance in
> postgres 8.1

This article give you the options that you have with postgresql.
http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2007/08/how_many_rows_do_i_have_anyway/

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
Tino Schwarze
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:42:46PM +0530, sathiya psql wrote:

> > I am not sure I understand your question.  maybe this link answers
> > your question:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/
> >
> this i know.....
>
> this is the documentation limitations...
>
> i need what will be the maximum number of rows *to have good performance* in
> postgres 8.1

That depends on your database schema and the queries you're running.
We've got PostgreSQL 8.2 databases with over 200 million rows in a
table and it's performing well. And there are possibly larger databases
around.

Bye,

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Lortzingstraße 21 * 09119 Chemnitz

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:42 +0530, sathiya psql wrote:

>         I am not sure I understand your question.  maybe this link
>         answers
>         your question:
>         http://www.postgresql.org/about/
> this i know.....
>
> this is the documentation limitations...
>
> i need what will be the maximum number of rows to have good
> performance in postgres 8.1

You want a simple answer to a very difficult question and regrettably it
isn't that simple or that quick.

Some of the considerations you would need to think about would be:

* What workloads are you running?
* What hardware will it run on?
* What performance is required?

  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: what is the maximum number of rows in a table in postgresql 8.1

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:42:46PM +0530, sathiya psql wrote:
> i need what will be the maximum number of rows *to have good performance* in
> postgres 8.1

any. just accept the fact that count(*) is *always* slow.

use triggers to store counts if you are using them all of the time.

also, i have two simple requests:
1. try to write to 1 mailing list. and not send the same question to all
lists you can find.
2. please try to avoid using workds like "lakh" or "crore" in your
mails.

i assume they mean something in your country of origin, but as far as i
know this is not english.

regards,

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)