Обсуждение: can I update multiple table at a time?

can I update multiple table at a time?

От
Jagadeesh
Дата:
Hello Gurus,

Is it possible to update two table using single sql statement? huh?
let me be clear

I have table master with state and date field. And in history table I
have same fields i.e., state and date. I'm writing an update statement
to set 'open' state records  to 'closed' state after 7. both table can
be joined using id.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
Joshua Drake
Дата:
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
Jagadeesh <mnjagadeesh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>
> Is it possible to update two table using single sql statement? huh?
> let me be clear
>
> I have table master with state and date field. And in history table I
> have same fields i.e., state and date. I'm writing an update statement
> to set 'open' state records  to 'closed' state after 7. both table can
> be joined using id.
>
> Any thoughts?

Use a transaction?

> Thanks

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
Julius Tuskenis
Дата:
Hi, Jagadeesh

I would suggest you 2 solutions:
  1. to use a function to edit these fields. That way you will be sure
that you will not forget to update both tables.
  2. use a trigger on master table. If I understand you - the history
table could be filled using trigger, when data in master table changes.
That way you could change only master table in your application.

Good luck!

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
Jagadeesh
Дата:
Hi Julius Tuskenis,

Many thanks for helping me.  These are good solutions. But I have some
doubts
Look below

On Oct 10, 11:06 am, jul...@nsoft.lt (Julius Tuskenis) wrote:

> I would suggest you 2 solutions:
>   1. to use a function to edit these fields. That way you will be sure
> that you will not forget to update both tables.
>   2. use a trigger on master table. If I understand you - the history
> table could be filled using trigger, when data in master table changes.
> That way you could change only master table in your application.

I think having triggers would bring performance down. So instead can
we have single
sql update statement to update all four fields of  two tables? Just a
crazy idea.

> Good luck!

Thanks for the wish.
These wishes needed to implement smart solution to above problem :)

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
Julius Tuskenis
Дата:
I don't know a way to edit 2 tables in 1 SQL statement. If you have 2
sql statements then the performance should be almost the same with the
function and maybe slightly worse with a trigger.

Jagadeesh rašė:
> Hi Julius Tuskenis,
>
> Many thanks for helping me.  These are good solutions. But I have some
> doubts
> Look below
>
> On Oct 10, 11:06 am, jul...@nsoft.lt (Julius Tuskenis) wrote:
>

>> I would suggest you 2 solutions:
>>   1. to use a function to edit these fields. That way you will be sure
>> that you will not forget to update both tables.
>>   2. use a trigger on master table. If I understand you - the history
>> table could be filled using trigger, when data in master table changes.
>> That way you could change only master table in your application.
>>

> I think having triggers would bring performance down. So instead can
> we have single
> sql update statement to update all four fields of  two tables? Just a
> crazy idea.
>

>> Good luck!
>>

> Thanks for the wish.
> These wishes needed to implement smart solution to above problem :)

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas
UAB nSoft
mob. +37068233050

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
"H. Hall"
Jagadeesh wrote:
> Hello Gurus,
>
> Is it possible to update two table using single sql statement? huh?
> let me be clear
>
> I have table master with state and date field. And in history table I
> have same fields i.e., state and date. I'm writing an update statement
> to set 'open' state records  to 'closed' state after 7. both table can
> be joined using id.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks

Update a view using the rule system?

See docs on rules:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/rules-update.html

and this thread:

http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/rules-views-and-updating-multiple-tables-58288.html

cheers,
HH

--
H. Hall
ReedyRiver Group LLC

Re: can I update multiple table at a time?

От
"Igor Neyman"
Дата:
If you could declare a Foreign Key on two columns in "history" table
referencing "master" table, and declare this FK with "ON UPDATE CASCADE"
option, then postgres will update status in history table for you
whenever you update status in master table.

Igor