Обсуждение: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
Mark Lehmann
Дата:
I have been looking for a best practices layout for Postgres.

The Centos and Debian distros configure the files for Postgres in different places.  Neither of them seem to put the files in ideal locations for multiple instance administration on the same or different machines.  Has someone already created a best practice for placing pg_xlogs, regular logs, data, indexes, binary code, and configuration files onto the filesystem?

  I would rather use a widely accepted standard than invent one based on one competitors of Postgres.

--
Mark Lehmann
512 689-7705 M

Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Дата:
2009/6/25 Mark Lehmann <mark.lehmann@gmail.com>:
> I have been looking for a best practices layout for Postgres.
>
> The Centos and Debian distros configure the files for Postgres in different
> places.  Neither of them seem to put the files in ideal locations for
> multiple instance administration on the same or different machines.  Has
> someone already created a best practice for placing pg_xlogs, regular logs,
> data, indexes, binary code, and configuration files onto the filesystem?

I like Centos configuration. :)

Honestly i didn't see something like you describe, but it'll very cool
write a kind
of 'best admin practices'. In the wiki i found some of tuning (is the
most similar that
i found).

Want to add a page on the wiki and we add things little by little?
Just sugestion,
what do you think?

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
ArPUG [www.arpug.com.ar] / AOSUG Member

Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
"Mark Lehmann"
Дата:
I'm up to the challenge.  I'll be adding a wiki page and slowly adding to it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
512 689-7705

Emanuel Calvo Franco wrote:

2009/6/25 Mark Lehmann : > I have been looking for a best practices layout for Postgres. > > The Centos and Debian distros configure the files for Postgres in different > places.  Neither of them seem to put the files in ideal locations for > multiple instance administration on the same or different machines.  Has > someone already created a best practice for placing pg_xlogs, regular logs, > data, indexes, binary code, and configuration files onto the filesystem? > I like Centos configuration. :) Honestly i didn't see something like you describe, but it'll very cool write a kind of 'best admin practices'. In the wiki i found some of tuning (is the most similar that i found). Want to add a page on the wiki and we add things little by little? Just sugestion, what do you think? -- Emanuel Calvo Franco ArPUG [www.arpug.com.ar] / AOSUG Member www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar

Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Дата:
> I'm up to the challenge.  I'll be adding a wiki page and slowly adding to
> it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I will add some sugestions during the week. Please let me know
the name of the page, to add them.

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
ArPUG [www.arpug.com.ar] / AOSUG Member
        www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar

Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Дата:
>> I'm up to the challenge.  I'll be adding a wiki page and slowly adding to
>> it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I created the page "Installation and Administration best Practices".

I invite to all the interested people to add their suggestions.

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
ArPUG [www.arpug.com.ar] / AOSUG Member
        www.emanuelcalvofranco.com.ar

Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture or Optimal Configuration Layout for Postgres

От
Emanuel Calvo Franco
Дата:
2009/6/30 Emanuel Calvo Franco <postgres.arg@gmail.com>:
>>> I'm up to the challenge.  I'll be adding a wiki page and slowly adding to
>>> it.  Thanks for the suggestion.
>>>

> I created the page "Installation and Administration best Practices".
>
> I invite to all the interested people to add their suggestions.

For all those asking to me where is the link:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Installation_and_Administration_Best_practices

Go Go Go! :)