Обсуждение: "the database system is starting up"

"the database system is starting up"

От
Dennis Thrysøe
Дата:
Hi people,

I keep getting this message

"the database system is starting up" in the postgres log while system is running in archive recovery mode (warm
standby).

Stops when system enters production mode.

I have checked network traffic, but there is none for port 5432. So it must be something local?

Thanks,

--
Geysir IT
dth@geysirit.dk

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 13:43 +0200, Dennis Thrysøe wrote:

> "the database system is starting up" in the postgres log while system
> is running in archive recovery mode (warm standby).

That is ok. pg_standby always waits for the next WAL , so it is always
in startup mode.

-HTH.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
Dennis Thrysøe
Дата:
On 12/04/2010, at 14.58, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 14:04 +0200, Dennis Thrysøe wrote:
>> I know, but a log line each second becomes a lot if the system is like
>> this for weeks at a time...
>
> Definitely a client app which is trying to connect to the server...

Yeah. Are there any good tools or logging options for determining who/what?

As mentioned it seems to be local as there is no traffic on TCP port 5432.

Thanks,

-dennis

--
Geysir IT
dth@geysirit.dk
http://geysirit.dk
+45 31 51 60 00

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Dennis Thrysøe<dth@geysirit.dk> wrote:

> Are there any good tools or logging options for determining
> who/what?

Are you on a recent enough version to have log_connections and
log_disconnections available?  If so, I would turn those on in
postgresql.conf.

-Kevin

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:42:32AM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Dennis Thrys?e<dth@geysirit.dk> wrote:
>
> > Are there any good tools or logging options for determining
> > who/what?

maybe turn off the port while you are in maintenance mode?
tcpdump should show you the host in question.

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
Dennis Thrysøe
Дата:
On 12/04/2010, at 15.42, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Dennis Thrysøe<dth@geysirit.dk> wrote:
>
>> Are there any good tools or logging options for determining
>> who/what?
>
> Are you on a recent enough version to have log_connections and
> log_disconnections available?  If so, I would turn those on in
> postgresql.conf.

Yes, that tells me that connection attempts are from the local host on incrementing port numbers for each attempt.

Are there any tools that will help me figure out which process is doing this?

lsof -i and netstat -p gave me nothing...

Thanks,

-dennis

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Dennis Thrysøe<dth@geysirit.dk> wrote:

> Yes, that tells me that connection attempts are from the local
> host on incrementing port numbers for each attempt.

Is the user your database superuser?  When I start a warm standby I
get one such message per second from pg_ctl for one minute; then
they stop.  Yours keep going indefinitely?

If you are using pg_ctl, can you show us the *exact* command used
(specifically including the -t parameter, if used)?  Does your
process list show any pg_ctl instances running while this is
happening?

-Kevin

Re: "the database system is starting up"

От
Dennis Thrysøe
Дата:
Hi,

There was no user involved, as far as I can see. The connection attempts are refused at the door :)

Mine kept going indefinitely, but by trial-and-error I found the application process causing the connection attempts.

Thanks for the input though.

-dennis

--
Geysir IT