Обсуждение:

Servio Medina
Дата:
Hello,

The purpose of this email is twofold: 1) to inform you of a reported
vulnerability by a third party, not myself,  involving one of your products,
and 2) to obtain confirmation/clarification and knowledge of any measures
taken to address this in the event it is viable. The report indicates that
appropriate contact was made to your organization - I trust this is the
case.

Below is the report (snipped):

--- Begin report ---
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert van der Meulen [mailto:rvdm@CISTRON.NL]
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2000 4:03 PM
To: BUGTRAQ@SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Postgresql cleartext password storage

Hi,

While migrating some postgres databases to a different server (including
user accounts) i noticed the following problem in the way postgres stores
user passwords:

SmellyCat:/var/postgres/data# strings pg_shadow
someaccountname
someaccountpassword
anotheraccountname
anotheraccountpassword
SmellyCat:/var/postgres/data#

This means postgresql stores usernames and passwords, cleartext, in
pg_shadow.
pg_shadow (and the other administrative tables) are owned by user postgres,
and only readable by user postgres, although modifying them trough the pgsql
monitor is usually protected by a password.

The passwords being cleartext, and readable by user postgres (and root,
ofcourse), allows bypassing the password mechanism, and gives access to all
databases. (compromising user 'postgres' or reading the pg_shadow file gives
access to the usernames/passwords)

Ofcourse this came in handy for me, but i think it's not the way it should
be :)
I tested this on postgres versions 6.3.2 and 6.5.3 , others probably
experience this problem as well.

This message is mailed to bugtraq, and Cc'd to the postgresql developers.

Greets,
    Robert van der Meulen/Emphyrio

--

|      rvdm@cistron.nl - Cistron Internet Services - www.cistron.nl        |
|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |

--- End report ---

An explanation of my query - I work for Infrastructure Defense, Inc., which
provides private publications to fortune 500 companies about
information/computer security trends, vulnerabilities, etc. I strive to
contact the appropriate parties whenever there is a question as to the
veracity of a post, claim, other. Hence, my email to you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Servio Medina - smedina@idefense.com
Information Security Analyst
www.idefense.com

Re:

Дата:
Servio Medina <SMedina@iDefense.com> writes:
> The passwords being cleartext, and readable by user postgres (and root,
> ofcourse), allows bypassing the password mechanism, and gives access to all
> databases. (compromising user 'postgres' or reading the pg_shadow file gives
> access to the usernames/passwords)

Not sure exactly what you think the vulnerability is.  Postgres and root
can read all the databases anyway, so what matter whether they can read
the passwords?

Of course, if one also uses one's login password as a database password,
it'd not be too cool, but cleartext storage of the passwords is far from
the weakest link...

            regards, tom lane