Обсуждение: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

От
Peter
Дата:
Hello PostgreSQL,
I am trying to install the PostgreSQL 7.2 downloaded by Cygwin but the
install does not match any of the documentation. Help!

Last year I installed PostgreSQL 7.1 on NT for a one off project then
deleted it. I used the pg download then added Cygwin using the Cygwin
download. Everything worked after I put together documentation from
several included files, a few web pages and lots of experiments.

This time I am attempting to use the Cygwin download including
PostgreSQL. The documentation is scattered over several documents and
none match the actual installation process.

I resorted to trial and error. Initdb hangs when "Creating template1
database" so there must be a step missing. Given the many "try this"
paragraphs across several documents, I estimate the number of
combinations will exceed the storage capacity of a 32 bit integer.

Should I give up on Cygwin and go back to what I did last time? Is there
a document or web page that describes a successful installation step by
step?

Peter

Re: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

Дата:
Peter <peter@helpnet.com.au> writes:
> I resorted to trial and error. Initdb hangs when "Creating template1
> database" so there must be a step missing.

I think you forgot to run the cygipc daemon.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

От
Paul Rowland
Дата:
Great! But where is the documentation on doing this
stuff? I'd like to try.

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Paul,

You might like to try the very good installation guide for PostgreSQL on
Windows at :

http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql_win_setup_faq.jsp

Added a link to it from the techdocs.postgresql.org website earlier
today too.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

On Thursday 21 February 2002 23:37, Paul Rowland wrote:
> Great! But where is the documentation on doing this
> stuff? I'd like to try.
>
> --- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Peter <peter@helpnet.com.au> writes:
> > > I resorted to trial and error. Initdb hangs when
> >
> > "Creating template1
> >
> > > database" so there must be a step missing.
> >
> > I think you forgot to run the cygipc daemon.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL again

От
Justin Clift
Peter wrote:

> Justin Clift suggested:
> http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql_win_setup_faq.jsp
> I started from scratch following the page and adapting it where it is
> out of date. I reached the stage of starting postmaster and receiving
> the message:
> DEBUG: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> DEBUG: incomplete startup packet

Aww Rats.

I'll try it tonight and see how it goes for me.

Did you use PostgreSQL 7.2 or 7.1.3?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Peter

     - Indira Gandhi

Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL

От
Peter
Дата:
I have the latest Cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.2. Using the installation
instructions at http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html,
make produces the messages:
pg_passwd.o(.text+0x763):pg_passwd.c: undefined reference to 'crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [pg_passwd] Error 1

The installation using the standalone PostgreSQL download works better
than trying to install the Cygwin version. The target of this project is
to install SQL-ledger but, if PostgreSQL works well, I might use it for
other projects.

The reason I persevere on NT is I need solutions that work on NT,
Solaris, and Linux. MySQL, using Berkeley tables for transactions, does
work on all those platforms but I hear the Berkeley tables use page
locking instead of row locking. Oracle is an easy to deploy alternative
but I am not about to pay $40,000 for an Oracle licence just so I can
perform a few hours development each month. What I need is a bullet
proof way of installing PostgreSQL on NT.

Peter

Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL again

От
Peter
Дата:
Justin Clift suggested:
http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql_win_setup_faq.jsp
I started from scratch following the page and adapting it where it is
out of date. I reached the stage of starting postmaster and receiving
the message:
DEBUG: pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
DEBUG: incomplete startup packet

Peter

Re: Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL

Дата:
Peter <peter@helpnet.com.au> writes:
> I have the latest Cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.2. Using the installation
> instructions at http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html,
> make produces the messages:
> pg_passwd.o(.text+0x763):pg_passwd.c: undefined reference to 'crypt'

If you can figure out *why* that happens, we'll be glad to apply the fix
in future versions, but there's not a lot we can do about it remotely;
you're going to have to do some of the legwork yourself.  (This is open
source software, after all.)

You could start by looking at the configure log (config.log) to see if
it found libcrypt or not.  If there is a libcrypt, did it get mentioned
in LIBS in src/Makefile.global?  Is it mentioned in the build command
for pg_passwd (which you carefully omitted from your complaint)?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Trying Cygwin version of PostgreSQL again

От
Justin
Дата:
Hi Peter,

Haven't yet had the time to properly try this out.  Did a quick initial
installation of PostgreSQL 7.2 with cygwin 1.3.9, and got the same error as
yourself.

I've had reports of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 working on cygwin however, but haven't
gotten around to trying that myself yet.  There is a possibility that the 7.2
version of PostgreSQL that's made for cygwin might not yet be at a point
where it should be, due to PostgreSQL 7.2 only very recently being released.

There is a PostgreSQL "cygwin" mailing list which you can subscribe to and
ask the guys there about, and this sounds like it might be the best avenue
for you :

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/index.html

Hoping that helps.

:-)